Seeing the dimensions in an Alibre assembly.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

How the devil do you get them to show up? I dimensioned everything as I sketched it in.
Do I need to re-enter the dimensions in a seperate layer and enable that layer perhaps?

My help file has fallen and it can't boot up,
Kermit ;D

Here's a pdf created from the assembly I'm working with. Simple two piece assembly. The holes were created as 4-40 threaded holes but I can't get that to show up anywhere but the edit sketch window.

View attachment New Assembly (1).pdf

I don't think you can see dimentions in an assembly. You can check a dimension by right clicking and using the 3D measurment tool. Bring up the tool and click 2 edges to get the distance between them. You can click an edge and the ID of a hole (not the top edge)for the distance between the edge and the center of a hole.

alibrescreenshot3.jpg

This is important for getting dimensions to show up going between a sketch and a drawing of the part.

alibrescreenshot2.jpg

This menu is reached by ...
alibrescreenshot1.jpg

Also the other menu is reached by right clicking on a previously placed dimension.

IN drawing mode you import the parts that you have enabled the dimension attributes shown above AND the ones found here;
alibrescreenshot4.png

Notice that the option to display dimensions is greyed out...Hmmm. nothing I tried could get the option to highlight. Looks like a job for!...The sales/answer man ;D

alibrescreenshot5.png

Kermit

kermit :
wish I had your answer . There is a large PDF manual that can be printed of not that comes with the download did you search through it? it seems like a zillion pages and includes all editions I have not read through it myself but should at least applicable sections.
Tin

As could be expected. I had become fixated on getting dimensions to appear, when, in actuality, this was not needed. Working with Alibre is getting easier and each problem seems smaller and is solved quicker than the last.

Thanks to(2) everyone who has helped me with this question.
Kermit

Here is my current progress on the Hasbrouck Engine #6

View attachment Hasbrouck Engine 6 Detail 22_24assy.pdf

Kermit said:

Kermit,

The default interpretation of a thread or hole depth is THRU. The "deep symbol" is only to be used when specifying something less than a THRU depth. (FYI) I normally have to create my drawings in accordance with ANSI/ASME Y14.5 and Y14.100. Also, the correct use would be: 2X #4-40UNC or 2X .1120-40UNC-qB (where 'q' is the class of thread -- 2 being the most common for typical applications, 3 being a zero tolerance + allowance, and 1 being the loosest tolerance and allowance).

Lew_Merrick_PE said:
Kermit,

The default interpretation of a thread or hole depth is THRU. The "deep symbol" is only to be used when specifying something less than a THRU depth.

That is useful information Lew. Thank you. I will let the Alibre people know about the 'error' occuring with the symbol. The dimensioning is what Alibre put in for me. Could mean that I somehow told the program that I wanted the symbol by selecting something I shouldn't have when doing the dwg creation.

The crank shaft assembly was a tricky one. I trashed my first 2 efforts and was succesful with the 3rd. Got it placed in the master build up assembly a few minutes ago. (I'm sure everyone has been waiting up for this exciting news) :big:

Sure seems lonely in this big ol place, ::)

Goodnight to whoever wanders into this topic by accident tonight,
Kermit

View attachment crank.pdf

Latest posts

Back