Scrap brass and bronze

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnalot

Project of the Month Winner !!!
Reaction score
Hi

I have a great source for scrap Brass and Bronze. Boat repair shops that specialize in ski boats produce a lot of scrap yellow metal. For whatever reason they just toss the scrap in a pile behind the building. If you drop in and show them what you make from scrap they often offer some of their scraps. I was getting a little low on brass so I visited a couple of shops this week and came home with about 130 pounds of Brass and Bronze. For aluminum visit outboard repair shops.

Happy hunting

Mark T

Scrap brass Bronze.jpg

Scrap brass for free ! now that has to be a bargain. If you are thinking of melting your scrap for casting it is wise to check for aluminium bronze.
I mention this because boat propellors and engine /transmission wear parts including gear selector forks are often made of this brass look-alike alloy.
It is a very tough alloy and can withstand shocks that would bend or fracture ordinary yellow brass , but can be difficult to cast due to to oxidation and shrinkage .
When pouring arrange moulds so that the metal enters the bottom of the casting pushing the rapidly forming oxides out of the mould via large risers.
like some phosphor bronzes it can be hard to machine and requires very sharp tools.
Often only new and unused reamers , endmills and drills etc will give a satisfactory machining experience.
Aluminium bronze will show a very slight attraction to a magnet , this is a good way to check it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about Aluminum Bronze. I do use my scrap for foundry use. And I have found ways to determine if it is brass or a bronze. The props are easy, the manufacturers name is stamped on the blade and you can look them up ( most always brass ). Rudders are often the Aluminum Bronze but the two I just got are not. I sort my scrap chunks by color and then by how easy it is to drill a hole in it.

I made a flywheel from Aluminum Bronze three years ago and it still looks like new. Had a bugger of a time turning it.

I like to make my sand molds fill from the bottom as it also helps lift any lose sand up and out of the mold.

Latest posts

Back