Running an IC engine on compressed air???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog/tn

Reaction score
??? I have just finished a 1/8 scale Otto Langen Atmospheric engine... The following Youtube video shows a similar scale engine running on either Hydrogen or acetylene.... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vzC1et_54[/ame] There aint no way my wife will left me show off this engine in our living room on any kind of combustible fuel. Therefore, I would like to run it on compressed air. I don't have a clue how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
rog/tn

It won't work. If you put compressed air on the intake side it will push the piston down but when it comes up on compression it won't have enough (possibly) to get it past TDC. Let's say it had enough inertia to get past TDC. Now it has to coast through the expansion cycle and the exhaust cycle to get back to where the intake is opening again. I guess if you gave it a huge shot of air it might work but I don't think so.
gbritnell

A IC engine needs combustion to run.
acetylene will produce carbon monoxide not good for inside. Hydrogen would be gentle on the engine and IIRC will only produce water vapor. However any leaks could be dangerous. remember the Hindenburg.
Propane and natural gas can and have been safely piped into homes across America and used for stove fuel.
Propane is widely used to fuel forklifts in warehouses all over America as well.
I have had either natural gas or propane in my house all my life although I do use electric for cooking ( Just never ran the lines and changed the stove.) I do prefer gas for cooking .
That said if you really want to run an IC engine in the living room look at propane or natural gas. Check for leaks with soap and water and open a window for extra ventilation and safety. NG may require a check valve.
These are my thoughts not giving advice just thinking out loud work and be safe!!!!
Tin

:( I knew it would be hard to run on compressed air....
This engine was the first (1867) IC engine. It runs different than most engines.
The combustion stroke raises the piston to the top of the column. There is "no" power delivered to the flywheel.
The power to the flywheel comes on the exhaust stroke as the piston falls (the weight of the piston and
the cooling of the column allows atmospheric pressure to power the piston to the bottom). The speed of the
engine is controlled by adjusting the rate of exhaust.
rog

A very unique and interesting engine I must say. Sort of a cross between a normal IC engine (or the reverse of one ;D) and a Stirling. Well done. :bow:

BC1
Jim

Back