Rule Holder cum Height Gage

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
height.jpg

I like to build tools that combine multiple utilities. So, when I needed a rule holder, I decided to combine it with a small height gage.

As shown, the base supports a 6" scale so that the markings are not hidden by the clamps that hold it to the base. The height gage can be swung around so the flat measuring surface on the arm lies along the scale. Once the correct height is set using the fine adjust, a collar (just barely visible in the photo) is slid up to the bottom of the arm and secured with the stainless shoulder bolt (gotta make a proper thumbscrew some day). Then the arm can be swung around to any convenient attitude without losing the height setting.

If I want to scribe layout lines, I superglue an X-acto knife blade to the arm so the edge aligns with the top of the arm. (A sharpened 1/8" tool bit would work as well.)

With three conventional height gages in my tool inventory, I thought this one would never be used again but it has proved useful in tight corners where the larger gages simply won't fit.

Nice one Marv, impeccable as usual.

My making book is now overflowing with all these tools you keep showing.

John

I think my height gauge gets more use than any other tool in my shop. Nice job on this one.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back