Round insert profile tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete

Reaction score
Shred,
I've thought of buying one of those but figured it might chatter too much, Thanks for posting that. I don't have any excuses now.

Pete

Hi Shred, yep its a great tool ;D ,i was given a box off 10mm round inserts a few years back and i am thinking off making a holder for them.

Regards Rob

I've been using one of those for about a year now and I love it.
I use it as much as I can.

would this be the same?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ukA3iN31Q&feature=channel_page[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ph4nWfzAw&feature=channel_page[/ame]

they do look to be highly versatile. im assuming it can be used for other operations then just profiling?

Yeah, that's the other set of videos from the one I linked in the first post. He does plain drill-rod zero-rake cutters, but they seem to do ok on brass. If you made the pocket and screw fit, someone could use the carbide tips as well.

Bogs swears by his for profiling, facing and finish turning-- it's pretty much the same cut as a round-nosed finishing tool. I've not played enough with it to fully form my own judgement on it, but it did leave a nice finish when I was just dinking around with it.

tmuir said:
I've been using one of those for about a year now and I love it.
I use it as much as I can.
Hi Tmuir,
Where did you get it?
Did you get it in Perth or on the net?

Cheers
Phil

Majorstrain said:
Hi Tmuir,
Where did you get it?
Did you get it in Perth or on the net?

Cheers
Phil

I got mine from the UK. RDG tools.
Just do a google search for them.
I ordered a few things from them in one hit to spread the postage.
I also went and visitted their shop last year and bought a number of their heavier items.

I believe those inserts were originally used as milling inserts. You can find the inserts at MSC under round milling inserts. You may have to make a holder for them.

Jim

Latest posts

Back