Round Column Or Dove Tail

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i will get a Collet chuck eventually they look very handy bits of kit. Is it a more accurate way of holding things or is it simply for speed of change ?.

Rob.......

Its been interesting to get involved on this thread. Now I know why any one would even consider buying anything other than a mill with an R-8 taper. Going with the flow and buying a machine that will take the commonly available tooling of the country your live in certainly makes sense.

Now... can any one explain why you all drive on the wrong side of the street? stickpoke Rof}

That was a rhetorical question. ;D

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
Now... can any one explain why you all drive on the wrong side of the street? stickpoke Rof}

-MB

It's the one occasion where the right side of the road is the left side of the road and the right side of the road is the wrong side of the road. It follows that right hand drive is right and left hand drive is.............well........... wrong. ::) th_wtf1

Very good Bob! :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

-MB

I have just read that collets give much better grip which would be helpful because i have been having trouble with grip or lack of it when threading with a tap or a die on my lathe ( not under power but by turning the chuck by hand )

Rob........

Maryak said:
It's the one occasion where the right side of the road is the left side of the road and the right side of the road is the wrong side of the road ::) th_wtf1

Thm: :big:

robwilk said:
I have just read that collets give much better grip which would be helpful because i have been having trouble with grip or lack of it when threading with a tap or a die on my lathe ( not under power but by turning the chuck by hand )

Rob........

With light clamping pressure collets will allow you to thread the smallest diameter work that would normally slip in in a chuck unless you clamp down on it hard. And collets will not mar up the work piece. I use 5-C collets on my lathe and mill.

-MB

Latest posts

Back