Round Column Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1972 Enco version of the Rong Fu. Balancing drive pulleys can reduce vibration. Check the pulleys on your machine, if there are no lightening holes it has not been balanced. I had to drill 5 half inch holes about 3/16 deep in the large drive pulley that sits on top of the quill,, couldn't go deeper without interfering with belt surface. Made a difference. Lots of instructions on balancing on Google.

I'd say that Gbritnell's work unquestionably speaks for itself about what can be accomplished with one of those round column mills. Today there's a whole lot more choices than in the 70's when he bought one. But his working models definitely show it's more about the skills, experience and knowledge the operator has than having the absolute best or even better and possibly easier to set up and use machine tools. I've also never seen him brag about his work. Afaik and from a few mentions in his posts made years ago, he's also done a whole lot of extremely complex 3D part shaping using that same round column mill and no dro. A manual version of cnc, and all done to coordinates while accounting for the inevitable backlash. Few including myself with what I would consider a much better mill and a decent dro could do the same.

Back