Rough and Tumble show next week

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheepo45

Reaction score
Anybody going to the Thresherman's Reunion next week?
I will be there on Saturday, weather permitting. If there is room, I will set up my display in the model building. It's always a great show.
cheepo45

Have fun! I wish we had the money to go.

I was a vendor there for about a decade.

Anybody going to the Thresherman's Reunion next week?
I will be there on Saturday, weather permitting. If there is room, I will set up my display in the model building. It's always a great show.
cheepo45

cheepo45

It might be a good idea if you could post the location of the Thresherman's Reunion. There may be people that would be interested if they knew where it was.

Cheers :)

Don

Sorry, everyone. Sometimes I forget that we are a worldwide fraternity.
The Rough and Tumble Museum is in Kinsers, Pa. It's about 10 miles from Lancaster, Pa in Pennsylvania Dutch country-beautiful area! It's a great place with steam tractors, steam engines, large and small gas engines, and great food. The threshermans reunion is their biggest show of the year. It runs from Thursday to Saturday (August 16th to 18th)

cheepo45

Thanks for the update. I am sure that it will be a fantastic show. I just wish that conditions were different and I was able to travel to it. Perhaps you will keep your camera handy and bless us with some photo's after the show is over for another year.

Cheers :)

Don

Rough and Tumble
4977 Lincoln Highway East
Kinzers, PA 17535
the show is 15-18 Aug

it is on Rt 30 between Gap and Lancaster PA

Rough and Tumble
4977 Lincoln Highway East
Kinzers, PA 17535
the show is 15-18 Aug

it is on Rt 30 between Gap and Lancaster PA

Allow PLENTY of time to get there. Rte 30 is notorious for being.... congested... in this area. Practice patience, and maybe bring an extra bottle of water.....And remember to smile and wave as the Amish kids and oldsters pass you on their bicycles and scooters (yes it happens, especially during peak hours)

The show also usually coincides with the AARP Weekend in Lancaster. So if you'll need a room, don't expect to find one at the last minute. (Unless you find the idea of driving around for 3 hours, and getting a "deal" on a $75 room at the "discount" price of $250 cash only FUN.)

Any pictures? whats the turnout is it anything Like cabin fever?

The turnout includes lots of non-engineering regular people, even some Amish who arrive in their horsedrawn wagons. The Amish seem to have an interest in "old" technology. I have been going to R&T for about 15 years and I don't recall a year when the turnout was low.

Lots of full sized traction engines

DSCI0074.jpg

The shay that gives rides around the complex
DSCI0062.jpg

There is a model shed
DSCI0091.jpg
[/IMG] where people set up displays.
there is a large collection of stationary steam engines and a separate building with Antique IC engines and Ericsson riders etc.
R & T boasts the larges running collection of antique engines on the east coast.
The Smithsonian collection is larger but they do not run the engines and many are not on public display.
R & T also has a small auto haus auto museum with IIRC about 20- 24 cars . people also bring antique cars for the parade of power and those cars are displayed in another barn.

The summer show at R & T is very well attended. It is much different from cabin Fever. CF is an indoor model show. R & T has many buildings but smaller buildings than the CF venue. and there are lots of full sized engines both owned by the museum and transported in by exhibitors. The exhibitors are often farmers that own there own 18 wheel flatbed rig for transporting the tractors. and engines.
There are a fair amount of models to see but it is not the focus like CF.
Also there is a large flea market and lots of vendors. Vendor types a bit wider than CF antiques blacksmiths tools tractor tires leather belts (the kind you wear). New tools . Old tools typical flea market stuff. IMHO the selection and prices are a step up from most average flea markets you see today. Not as much Chines junk and run of the mill consumer stuff. .
Hope this helps.
Tin

PointFive thanks for chiming in. how about an intro. Have we met at R & T ?
I have been set up in the model shed.
Probably will be again lathe in the week.
Tin

R & T Annual Thresshermans reunion is here and almost gone. One day left to join the fun.
Tin

R & T Annual Thresshermans reunion is here and almost gone. One day left to join the fun.
Tin

Here's a few of the pictures I took today when helping out in the engine building.

4 hp Otto which originally was run on "city gas" ( created by heating coal and capturing the gas which cooks off ) but now runs on hydrogen.

Click pics for full size

5 Hp New Era ( propane fired )

The Threshermens' Reuinion 2012 in now history. for those of you in the north east there is another show just two months away. The R & T Time of harvest Show Oct 12-13. cool autumn breezes the smell of fresh apple butter cooking over an open fire in a large copper kettle. Hand cranked corn threshing and corn meal grinding. peddle power tractor pulls for the kids as well as many of the regular R & T sights and sounds.Like the chug of steam engines the smell of burning coal and the ringing of the anvil from the smithy.

These shows offer great opportunities to meet people. Tony from Nation builders book is on hand and you get to talk to people like George Lurhrs, Pete Renzeti Don Sandler.As well as many less well known but knowledgeable folks.

George does amazing work. he has sold models to museums. he is a member of the Internet craftsmanship museum.He specialized in tiny but amazing engines.
Pete is not as well know in the model engine community but he is amazing in his own way. He worked as a blacksmith for many years at the famous Yellin works in Philadelphia and has done some high profile historical restoration reproduction work. he loves and collects old engines and technology.He has also done model scale Black Smithing tools and forgings.
Dons work speaks for itself. Most of his engines are done from castings. he is the chair of the Model committee at R & T.His work is museum quality. Don son bob is now getting involved in the hobby and in displaying engines.
And there are usually at least a couple members from here that are at the shows.
Tin

Great show! Here is a picture of the model building. I enjoyed talking to everyone.

DSCN1982.jpg

The R & T Time of harvest Show is Oct 12-13. just a few weeks away. cool autumn breezes the smell of fresh apple butter cooking over an open fire in a large copper kettle. Hand cranked corn threshing and corn meal grinding. peddle power tractor pulls for the kids as well as many of the regular R & T sights and sounds.Like the chug of steam engines the smell of burning coal and the ringing of the anvil from the smithy.
Tin

Anyone going in Oct ?? Do they have the model shed opn in Oct ?

Hopefully I will be there and yes, the model building will be open for the fall harvest show.

Phil

Time flies the spring steam up has come and gone the next big show is in August . The Blacksmith days show is 7-8 June. the model shed will be open on the 8th.
a few pics from ssu.
the first three pics are my humble display.
the third is a 1/4 scale jeep wileys. Imported body on a lawn mower frame.
and last but not least a 12 inch to the foot scale case traction engine.

Tin

Display 1.jpg

Display 2.jpg

display 3.jpg

1-4 jeep.jpg

Case.jpg

Latest posts

Back