Rotary Table recommendations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdwrench1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for any recommendations for a half decent import rotary table.
I bought one several years ago from Busy Bee but it has been a constant disappointment. The gears are made of butter and have stripped beyond any kind of repair.
I'm looking for at least an 8 inch table , possibly even a 8 inch model. My mill is an older Busy Bee mini mill.

Thank you
Wayne

If finances will stretch to it get a Bison Bail European made, not far eastern.

On a similar subject, can anyone recommend a good 3-inch table (I have a Taig micro-lathe and I want to mount it on a vertical slide)?

Bought a "Soba" one recently but it's really crappy quality...

Check out Vertex, I have a 4" one I use on my X2 mill and am well pleased with the quality, fit, and finish. They also make a 6" and possibly an 8".

Chuck

I have a PhaseII 8" rotab that has been very satisfactory. I use mine on a Bridgeport, but it might be a bit large for a mini-mill.

I have a 6" Phase II on a BF20 style mill (Griz G0704)
I think an 8" would be a stretch for my mill in addition to carrying it. Mine is heavy enough

Wayne

Something else you need to consider when choosing a rotary table is how many T-slots the table has. Mine is a 6" Vertex with 3 slots and many times I wish it had 4 slots.

Vince

My Vertex 6" RT is the same. Probably the 3 slots are for ease of fitting a 3 jaw chuck, the most commonly used type (apparently).

To improve the versatility of your RT, make up a sub table that bolts to it. You can adapt it to hold a 4 jaw chuck or just drill/ tap convenient holes for your favourite clamping system.

10mm steel would be more than adequate and you will not lose too much headroom.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

If you want a SMALL table that is very cheap and actually acceptable for the small stuff we often do, get the Harbor Freight. I've used the heck out of mine. Just keep the gears well meshed and tap a 1/4X20 in the center hole to aid in holding things on the table. The supplied clamps are ok but you can make more that are better. LMK. Swift752.

I've found some great reviews on the Phase II 6 inch.
I've found one at http://getmachinetools.com/pro753989.html
Very good price.
Thanks for the tip on the vertical/horizontal Stan. Much appreciated.
I bought a $30 DRO from Busy Bee last week and installed it on my mill fro digital Z axis readings.
The DRO Unit is here.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DIGITAL-REMOTE-READOUT-0-6IN.-IN-AND-METRIC.html

I'll take some pictures on Monday and post them on a new subject line.
Thanks for everyone's input.
This forum is certainly a big help with everyone's combined experience.

Wayne

Latest posts

Back