riddle me that

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kutzdibutz

Reaction score
Hi,

so yesterday I was invited to a birthday party and in order not to show up completely empty-handed I searched the web, got some aluminum bar stock, cut 6 pieces off and started milling them into shape.

IMG_1236.jpg

A little bit line marking and milling later I ended up with this parts:

IMG_1237.jpg

de-burring, fine filing of some fits, assemble and we got ourselves a little giveaway. (cheap me... :cool: )

IMG_1238.jpg

Since I was already late and had to rush with the machining it lacks precision a bit... But not too bad at the end.
Maybe I was a bit mean handing it over in the 6 individual pieces, but it was a bunch of mech. engineers gathering so they had fun trying to crack that one after the other. ;D

Cheers, Karsten

Sweet! Can you share the design source?

Thayer

And for Christmas................... a stainless steel Rubiks cube ?:D
Only joking but nice work anyway

@thayer: got my clues from http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/teufelsknoten.htm (there is a link to the english translation at the bottom but it didnt open for me. ts... anyway I didnt really notice what langage the page was- the pictures were quite enough fo me)

@Herbie: Making a Rubiks-Cube- brilliant idea! But maybe not stainless steel but also aluminum- with anodised faces... Are there plans available somewhere?

Cheers, Karsten

Hi Karsten. I doubt if plans for Rubiks cube are available. Probably have to take one apart

Thanks Karsten. You are right, those images are plenty to go on.

Thayer

Thanks guys.

haha- and if there are no plans of a self made Rubik's, I'll make some... (eventually maybe...) At least a 3x3 shouldnt be too hard.
Thanks for putting the bug in my ear... :wall::D

Cheers, Karsten

The inner bits of the original design should be reasonably easy to replicate as the shapes are all relatively simple solids of conventional planes and arcs. The modern speed cubes would be a completely different matter though. Their innards are much more complex "organic" curves.

Thayer

Latest posts

Back