Retractable threading tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I noticed that on your sketch and may well go that way. What I'll have to do first is compare the heights from tool holder to centre height on both lathes, make it to suit the lesser one and make a dedicated packing piece for the greater.

Well, I've given up, for now, on the idea of setting it up for both lathes and have just focused on getting it mounted to the 9 x 20 (which has a Norton type box).

The moment of truth! And what a moment! Grabbed the first stub of stuff to hand (10mm brass) and set the machine to the only thread it would cut (0.7mm) with the gears presently on it and .....

trial - 10mm x .7mm.jpg

Tel, looks like you have got yourself a keeper then. :bow: :bow:

Maybe, because they are fairly easy to make, you could knock up a second one, specifically designed and sized to fit the Myford.

The thing is, even though it is early days yet, and you most probably need to get used to the technique, did you find it fairly easy to cut that thread?

John

Very easy John - that was the roughest set-up you have ever seen, just aligned by eye and grabbed the nearest off cut and when for it. The beast performed as advertised and more! Now I don't often wax lyrical about this sort of thing, but that is a winner!

Yes, a second unit for the ML7 is on the cards, tho the 9x20 will probably get used for the bulk of my threading from now on.

Another trial cut, this time 1/2" x 12 tpi. Sorry about the crappy pic - I ran out of light.

trial2  .5  x 12.jpg

tel said:
Another trial cut, this time 1/2" x 12 tpi. <snip>

Hi tel

That'll never sell in the States -

for some strange reason they like 13 tpi on there arf inch bolts. ;D

" The Beaut thing about standards is ;

We got so many to choose from" :big:

Bez

P.S. Nice tool holder too!

;D US Ebay, here we come!!!! 'Rare, collectable stud with nut ....'

Only just seen this, Thanks for posting the pictures of your holder Tel. I think I'll have to add it to the "to do" list!

Vic.

I can thoroughly recommend it Vic - the Boggy one came up with a winner here!

He normally does Tel. The bloke is either costing me time to make stuff or money to buy useful stuff he keeps finding that I didn't know I needed. ;D
I ignored one of his last finds out of principle ... :big:

Vic.

That's a nice tool that you made TEL. I haven't even had a chance to start one and tomorrow i have to get my knee scoped will be a couple of weeks now. Great job are yours.

Thanks Bronson, I'm very happy with the result, and I'm sure you will be as well, once you get it done.

Good luck with the knee and bounce back quickly!

Too much fun! I'll have to pull this thing off the lathe before I run out of stock!
;)

Tel

It does look like you are having fun. :bow:

Will it work for a left hand thread or does it require one to be built in reverse?

Cheers :)

Don

Yep, no problem doing a lefty - here's an 8 point l/h Acme

Tel

That looks real good. Glad to see that it has worked out so good for you. Looks like you have all bases covered. :bow:

Don

Don,

If you can stand my monotone voice and watching paint dry, here is a vid of my prototype in action, the second cutting sequence shows how easy left hand threading really is. LH threading starts at about 3 mins 10 secs. Where this method scores is that you put the next cut on as it is running back to the start.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFdNaBD5GM[/ame]

John

John

Thanks for that video. I followed the original when you first made your retractable threading tool but I didn't remember if it could do left hand threads. Now I know that it can do both. :bow:

Don

I really need to make one of these :bow:
Pete

You'll be really glad you did Pete!

Latest posts

Back