Retractable threading tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Does anyone have plans for a retractable threading tool i saw one over on another site but no plans. I have a southbend and no thread dial so i thought this would help when leaving the half nuts engaged and reversing the lathe to start the second cut. Thanks

John Bogstandard built an ingenious 'swing up' type - the build is over on Madmodder

Thanks i just found it and am reading it now. Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't just read about it, get on and build one. They come highly recommended! :bow:
Ned

Build the much easier to make one, as shown in sketches towards the end.

I made a real meal of the initial one, purely because it was a prototype, and put more into it than what was really required.

BTW, it really does work great. Ever since I have made mine, the drop in dial hasn't been used.

John

I'll second that, build a swing up toolholder, I did nd it's brilliant.

Roy

:big: :big:

I can *so* see myself doing that.... spend hours making something then.... ummm... where's the reverse switch? ???

It's not the switch you worry about :big: it's your chuck flying off
Perhaps "CAN BE" should be replaced with "IS SAFE TO"

Chris

I am just getting around to the tool now cause i am just installing a new 3/4 hp motor with reverse on my southbend tonight. So soon as the motor install in done i can start on the new tool.

Hi Guys,
There should be little or no risk of the chuck unscrewing itself, unless there is a violent change of direction. The chuck will not unscrew because of any running load as there is none from the tool whilst in reverse.
Ned

Tel suits actions to words ..... started my version yesterday. Thanks Boggy for a tremendous gizmo - I have high hopes for it!

swing-up#1.jpg

swing-up#2.jpg

swing-up#3.jpg

swing-up#4.jpg

Tel,

Yours is how I should have made my original, but as I said, it was done on the run.

The main advantage of your one is that it has nothing stopping the swing up part from going all the way over. This will allow you to try for fit the nut. With mine, I have to come off the threaded part about an inch before I can do that.

Very nicely made, and I hope it works for you as well as it looks.

Mine has halved the time it takes me to single point a thread, and I could never go back to the old method of the drop in dial.

John

There is another type of retractable tool holder depicted on page 31 Zerspanungswerkzeug from the Swiss firm of Ifanger.
It seems to be a smart way to retreat and re-feed a threading toolpoint up to 4 mm which would satisfy me at any rate.If this kind of toolholder was mounted directly on the locked crosslide real high speed high quality threading must be the outcome.
Has anybody seen or even better used such a thing?
There are triangular toolbits available from another source so some kind of tangential holder is lurking in my brain.
How does the Ifanger thing work or do I have to buy one and put up later on E-bay?
If someone with the ability can put here the relevant link to page 31 Ifanger catalogue our common ignorance can be lifted to an altogether higher level.
The picture seems so old that Patents are no longer an issue.

Niels,

I am a bit confused about what you have said, but as a reply, there are a few retracting tool holders that plans can be got for, and they seem to do a reasonable job. I studied those plans before I embarked on the development of this type, from an idea off another forum. The plans ones just looked too complicated for the job they had to do.

The advantage of these swing up ones is that you can put the next feed cut on while it is going back to the start.

John Stevenson actually uses a thread chaser in his version, rather than a single point tool, and he says it does a wonderful job of cutting a perfectly formed thread.

John

Thanks John - I could see a bit advantage in having the holder able to swing right back out of the way.

Now I have to give some careful thought to the mounting arrangements - no QCTP and no immediate plans of getting one, so it will have to mount direct to the existing tool holder or to the top of the topslide. And ideally I want to be able to swap it between the ML7 and the 9x20

Tel,

Can't you just screw say an oblong section 10mm thick bar along the back of the tool, in line with the cutting tool in the swing up holder, and mount it as you would a normal cutting tool. As you have very little cutting force acting on it, it could stand being away from the toolholder a little. It could then be mounted on both machines.

I showed that bar across the back in the sketches I made at the end of the original article on madmodder.

Good luck with setting up and using the tool.

John

Back