Replacing mill motor on 3-in-1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadillacman

Reaction score
Hello again, everyone. I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but I apologize for not uploading any pictures of my machine or following up with it. It's not quite done yet. It's pretty much cleaned up (as good as it will get) and serviced, but I have one larger problem; the mill motor is failing. That's why it was dismounted in the first place. It works for a couple minutes and then it starts to slow down. After I turn it off, it will smoke. So, I'm pretty sure it's shot. I've checked the wiring and it's correct. I think the previous owner smoked it after reversing a couple wires in the switch. I moved them to the correct contacts (according to the schematic) and the machine would now run in forward or reverse like it was suppose to.

I found a motor made by a company called Worldwide Electric at surpluscenter.com that has similar specs to what I need:

My motor: Optional motor:
No name Worldwide Electric model T34-18-56CB-OL
3/4 hp 3/4 hp
1700 rpm 1725 rpm
110v 115v
8.8A 11A
face mount face mount

If I buy the one direct from Grizzly (motor used on my machines sister, just with a longer bed), it would be a little under $200 USD. This one would be around $150 after shipping. It's a little cheaper, which is good, because I don't have a whole lot of cash to throw around, but what I really like is that it has a name on it, which mine doesn't. So, what I see is that the company had enough pride to put a name on their product. I asked Worldwide electric if face mount motors are all basically the same when it comes to mounting and they said yes, they all must be universal. My main concern is the 2.2 amp difference. I asked Smithy, the company who sold my machine, if they thought the AC contactor and wiring could take the extra amps and they don't know, but that I should see an amp rating on the contactor itself. I think the AC contactor (relay) that it runs through is rated for 25A, according to what I see, so I would imagine that it could handle the difference. It's hard for me to tell because everything is in Chinese.

What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and buy the other one from Grizzly or should I give the Worldwide motor a shot? I was going to buy a Dayton for it, but they wanted $359 for it, which is way over my budget. I need to stay under $200 at this point. Any ideas? Thanks, and sorry for these posts about my machine. Once I get it going, I'll talk more about engines.....fun stuff!

Thanks,
Dan

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Worldwide electric motor has overload protection with manual reset, which could be a potential perk. I don't have to get it with the overload protection though, if that won't work.

Hey Dave, thanks for the help. Sorry, I should have posted a link to the motor:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2378&catname=electric

My machine, the Smithy Midas 1720 CNC (not actually a cnc though), actually used two 3/4 hp motors, one for the lathe and one for the mill. It did not originally have a Worldwide electric motor on it, just a generic no-name at all 3/4 hp 110v single phase 8.8 amp motor. I thought it was strange that the Worldwide 1/2 hp motors run with 8.8a while my 3/4 runs with 8.8a. I guess the Worldwide motors are heavier duty?The Worldwide motor is not a standard replacement, it's not what it came with, just a possible alternative.

This page shows the correct replacement, it's marked 550 on the diagram. You can scroll down to 550 on the list below and it gives a little more info, not much.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9729/parts/5

Smithy will sell me the motor for $150 USD, but I won't see it for 8-12 weeks.

Dan

The most important thing you can do is measure the bolt pattern and verify the new one will fit. The 1/2 HP pattern could differ from the 3/4 HP pattern as well as the shaft size and length. Amps don't mean a thing if you can't get the motor mounted to your machine.

I hate to say it but you might be better off to carry the motor into your local retailer and walk out with something that works. $359 is alot of cash but the quality over the chinese motor is going to be better. Better yet is to find a local surplus store and get one at half price. Nothing like setting them side by side and comparing before you plop down your hard earned.

Well, I definitely won't go with a 1/2 horse power motor, but all the same, if the bolt pattern doesn't match up, it's worthless to me. The shaft size is correct, but the length is different.

There must be a surplus store around me somewhere within an hour. I'll take a look. That's a really good idea to have both motors in my hands to make sure the new one will work. I'm just having a real hard time finding a 3/4 horse motor that's 110v and face mount. I would love to buy the Dayton, as they seem to be a real good, solid motor, but I just don't really have that cash to throw down and I won't any time soon. I'm going to college at the moment and my work has come to a halt, so I need to buy at a decent price, even if I have to replace it again 5 years in the future. I figure this motor must have lasted close to 10 years, which sounds ok to me. I haven't even got to really use the machine, so I'm having trouble investing too much money into it.

Back before the economy went south and I was working full time because I hadn't started school, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Latest posts

Back