Regulations for Ontario, Canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-Known Member
Sep 7, 2008
Reaction score
I have found two things on Model Boilers, the first one from the Province of Ontario<
Boilers and Pressure Vessel Regulation (O.Reg. #220/01)
2. (1) This Regulation applies to the design, construction, maintenance, use,
operation, repair and service of boilers, pressure vessels and
piping. O. Reg. 220/01, s. 2 (1).
(2) This Regulation does not apply to,

(c) a boiler having a heating surface of 10 square feet (0.93 square metres) or
This indicated to me that most small boilers are exempt from the Regulation,
then I found the following under Industry Guide to Canadian Safety Requirements
for Children's Toys and Related Products, 2006
"Toy steam engine boilers must be equipped with an appropriate safety valve and
they must be able to withstand pressures of at least three times the operating
pressure of the boiler in order to protect against accidental rupturing."
From this I gather that I must test my Boilers to three times working pressure, so I now test to 90psi instead of 60psi.
Hi Gerald,
That is a very generous exemption as a few of the smaller locomotives could be built full scale with that limit.

I never thought to look for toy regulations thanks for the idea.
I am in BC and we have similar regulations, we fall under miniature boilers one size above toy. This covers most of our boilers we make for Shay, 0 4 0, 0 6 0 and Pacific boilers, in 1 1/2 inch scale. The boiler guy from BC boiler regs, was just at the shop and is giving us appropriate forms for traceability of each part, lot numbers ect., if it is going into the USA it is diffrent from state to state but most require an "s" stamp and a current hydro test before they can operate there. We test to 120lbs


Nice bit of information.

To any budding boiler maker out there, no matter what part of the world you come from. The onus is on the individual to make and to get tested his own boiler to comply with whatever governing body you fall under.

If an accident happens, pleading ignorance and saying you couldn't find the legislation will leave you wide open for having the weight of the local officialdom drop straight down on your head.

If you follow the rules, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about, as you will know your boiler has been tested and certified to local legislation, and as long as you are not silly in how you operate it, your a**e should be covered by the relevent test certificates and personal insurance. Just remember, all the members of your family are classed as third party as well, hurt them, and they can take you for everything you've got, no matter how much they say they love you.

A few million bucks lawsuit isn't what you want, chasing you around for the rest of your natural.

Another thing you should really consider is third party insurance. Mine is done automatically thru a local club, and for a measly just over 25 squid a year, I am covered up to 5 million squid, and even though I don't do live steam any more, I still keep it up, as if a visitor to my shop has an accident whilst in there, I have that covered as well.

This is who covers mine in the UK.

I've seen several references to boiler making, insurance, liability, etc.

We 'are' just talking about liability when the boiler is used in a 'public' setting aren't we?

And by public I mean used by any one other than the maker....including the display in a public setting.

Or to be more dream is to build a loco for tooling around the garden. I wouldn't think I need to be bothered by the 'officials' if this is for my own pleasure.

I'm not suggesting that the standards or specifications set by such 'officials' should be ignored. I'm just wondering about the need to involve said 'officials'.

I'd appreciate any clarification here.

In insurance terms, a public place is anywhere where another person can come into contact with what you are doing, that even covers your workshop, kitchen or back yard. You are the first party (the nasty), everyone else in the world is third party (the innocent). Nasty hurts innocent, nasty is to blame. Nasty, or his insurance company, has to pay for the pain and suffering of the innocent.

But like everything else, if you don't pay the money, you takes your chance. That is your decision alone.
In the UK, even if you want to sail a small pond yacht, or even roller skate around the block, by law, if it is in a 'public place' you should really have public liability insurance. But most times that minor infraction is ignored, and common sense takes over, as most household insurances will cover those sorts of things to a small degree.

I am even supposed to have insurance for my mobility scooter, on the odd occasion I might hit a 40 ton wagon and push it off the road.


Latest posts