Regrinding Twist Drills to drill Brass.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Norman,
Been a long time since your last post .
Have no experience grinding twist drills to drill brass and copper. Was fortunate to see it being done in YouTube. Drilling brass pieces,thick or thin is no longer a problem. Was surprised to succeed drilling a 12mm hole on the petrol tank for Nemett-Lynx Engine. Months back I recycled an old box of Black&Decker Drills for Brass. Pardon the spelling.
Regrinding drills for brass is not a black art. A light touch on the grinding wheel will do. Same drill will drill steel and just a bit tougher .

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

Last edited:
I now believe in Fairies or Guardian Angels because by all the accepted mechanical principles the whole thing should have snatched.

OK. I can do it but not with a twist drill.
I would have used a milling cutter on a curved surface like that. Other people might use a tapered reamer instead.

Meantime, my kindest wishes. No wonder you catch lots of fish- you are lucky.

Cheers

Norman

I now believe in Fairies or Guardian Angels because by all the accepted mechanical principles the whole thing should have snatched.

OK. I can do it but not with a twist drill.
I would have used a milling cutter on a curved surface like that. Other people might use a tapered reamer instead.

Meantime, my kindest wishes. No wonder you catch lots of fish- you are lucky.

Cheers

Norman

Hi Norman,

Correction. ''Been a long time since your last post''. Was actually typing local Singlish---------"Long time no see."
As I age, typing mistakes a norm.

Take care and speedy recovery for your wife.

Latest posts

Back