Reeves Mary Beam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2steam

Reaction score
Hello all. Got a favor. Anybody out their familiar with a Reeves Mary Beam steam engine? I have the opportunity to pick one up fully machined, ready for paint.
I have a Stuart Beam that I really appreciate and the Mary Beam looks pretty impressive. Reeves kits are from the UK, have been around for a good many of years. I'm heading out tomorrow, I have a short window of opportunity.
Thank you.

MARY BEAM.JPG

What is your question?
gbritnell

You are correct about gunmetal being an inappropriate metal for some of the parts, Charles, but (unfortunately) this is quite common for small castings. Does make the model look more antique-like, though!

Not knowing anything about castings, I suspect that getting sufficient detail in small iron castings is not possible. I know there are lost wax possibilities in ferrous metal, but they would be even more expensive to produce.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

The model in the photo has had many of the steel parts made in Brass. Not sure why they would have wanted to do that, the brass will wear quicker.

Jo

Here's my Mary engine. It runs extremely slow and is a beautiful looking engine when painted and polished.
gbritnell

image.jpg

I could only post one picture at a time from my I pad so here's another.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back