Recognize this steam engine model?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrickman

Reaction score
I am restoring this engine for an old friend of mine- is it a model or just a small engine?. In the process of having 2 flywheels cast (missing) from the pattern shown and making an eccentric to actuate the steam valve. Does anyone recognize the model? I am guessing he has had it for 30-40 years.... Would like to see how it should look. Lots of the parts were fabricated from bar stock like the crank journals and crosshead.

harrysteam2.jpg

I know it's not one, but there are certain similarities to a Stuart Turner No.9

Have a look at these pics:
stno92h.jpg

The steam chest on your model is reversed to this one. Note the unpainted pad - where you have a valve lever.

stno91z.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't claim to be the builder of this beautiful engine.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Could that possibly be a Stuart #8? The flywheels are not of that maker but the base etc. sure could be one.

Stuart model #9.... just sold mine a few weeks ago.

Steve

Cedge

Note that the No.9 has only 4 hold down bolts on the bed plate, Myrickman's has 6.
The crosshead and slide bars are of a different design to the No.9.
The valve gear is different to the No.9.

The base casting certainly does have a lot of resemblances to the No.9.

I suppose the original builder could have modified the design somewhat, but I think not. I believe Bearcar1's guess is the right one.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Forgot to add that this model has a 2" bore- all the Stuarts appear to be smaller bore. The base + cylinder is ~16" from tip-to-tip.

Had some nice CI flywheels cast and turned. Stripped the castings and painted them with faded polyurethane- here is the end result. Runs nice on compressed air. The base is old mahogany.

steamcurvedspokes1.jpg

Say, 'Rickman, were you ever able to positively identify what engine that is? I still think it is a Stuart #8 or 8A, the predecessor to the popular #9.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back