recent developments

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoop

Reaction score
Hello to all
As a newcomer to this forum I spent a couple of weeks just watching and reading before signing up.During my watching period I was unaware of the darker side of this site.The infamous Bogstandard was unknown to me and most people posted relevant subject matter and were generally polite and good natured.I now see that some people are shall we say "a little bit feisty" when it comes to certain topics,the most recent being the "laying out thread".Whilst being no angel when it comes to a slanging match I find it serves no useful purpose to intersperse an interesting thread with two blokes having a pissing contest.These chest thumping events though are quite amusing in their own way and I find I can deduce a lot about the general demeanor of a member by their replies to certain threads,and I think I can tell fairly well by now who the helpful types are and who to avoid.Therefore perhaps it may be a good idea to allow people to get stuff of their chests and let these rants burn themselves out,providing of course that it does not get too much out of hand.A good debate is in itself educational and we are always learning in one way or another.

I am not expecting anyone to reply to this post, I am just stating my worthless opinion in the off chance that it may ring true with other members.

The moral to this is "think twice or leave it an hour or so before firing off a slightly heated reply to a subject".Try to think if your reply is an honest retort or just a deliberate snipe at an opponent to gain same points.

Anyway,sermon over.I'm going to work now.Please carry on doing whatever you were doing before I interrupted you and enjoy the rest of your chistmas.

best regards Steve C.

I don't want to inflame anything or upset anyone, but I really feel that this is one of the best and most polite forums I have ever seen. I moderate a very large motorcycle forum, and believe me there are folks on there that get plain nasty over nothing at all. I had one very memorable PM from a chap in australia who was absolutely rude, insulting and abusive, with every swear word you can imagine. Didn't matter to me - I told him I thought he was funny! ;D

Anyway, I just had a look at that layout thread, and I personally don't see any comments on there worthy of getting upset about. You have to remember that when you're reading someones typed statements, all the personal touches are lost (voice intonation, facial expressions and all the funstuff) so meanings can easily be misconstrued and misinterpreted, you just have to accept that and roll with it. Couple that with the fact that typing is somewhat arduous for most people, so sentences get shortened essentially to save a bit of time in posting, and they end up coming across a little blunt.

You just have to chill, and let the little things roll over you. I don't mean you specifically, just folks in general. Relax, it's an internet forum, and rather a good one in fact, I like it a lot even though I am not the most prolific of posters here.

Propforward said:
I don't want to inflame anything or upset anyone, but I really feel that this is one of the best and most polite forums I have ever seen.

Amen brother!

Thanks to the moderator staff for keeping it that way. :bow:

Cheers,

BW

BobWarfield said:
Amen brother!

Thanks to the moderator staff for keeping it that way. :bow:

Cheers,

BW

Add me to that, I think the mod's here do a fantastic and often very difficult and unseen job.

Tim

I agree, the mods here are doing very well - I do the job of a global moderator elsewhere as I have said, and boy it is not as easy as you might think. It certainly opened my eyes when i started doing it. Great site, keep posting and asking questions - it's all good!

Latest posts

Back