rebuild: Before and after

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drysdam

Reaction score
About a month ago, I asked for help pricing what turned out to be a South Bend 10k: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=17696.0

Well, I ended up buying it. I had to dismantle it to get it home and since I was doing that anyway, I decided to degrease it (it hadn't been used in at least 20 years and was a little hard-moving in some spots). When I degreased it a lot of paint came off, so I repainted as well:

Before:

img_0001.jpg

After:

img_0007.jpg

I haven't actually been able to use it yet, though. I don't have the motor hooked up yet. I think I should be making chips by the end of this weekend, though.

Surely you are not going to make that beautifully restored lathe dirty! How could you?

Jim

A 10K is a very nice lathe for a home shop. That lathe should have an underdrive if it originally came on that cabinet. The drive behind the headstock was on the bench model.

Nice job. I love old lathes :)

I brought home a 1949 10L (the 10K's bigger brother) a few years ago. Mine has seen a lot of use in its life,but I wouldn't give it up for a new one in it's class.

That lathe should have an underdrive if it originally came on that cabinet. The drive behind the headstock was on the bench model.

This bench has never had an under drive unless someone patched the hole *very* well.

Aha, in that case, I'll have few compunctions if I decide to move it over a few inches to make room for a better power switch placement.

Latest posts

Back