re-gloves

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shaynut

Mklotz you locked the topic on gloves, that in it self is ok no problem but I have to put I have to put my 2 cents in, lock this after is ok.

First this topic went into two different areas.
First Antman was stating he used gloves WHILE welding, a good thing. Then he said he used gloves while using an angle grinder a smart thing if the wheel hits the glove saves your skin.

He know where stated he was using golves on lathes, mills or other ratating machinery which is where every one else went with the thred. Here is where you are verry right inmaking statements about NEVER useing gloves.

On the subject of Rings, when I got married 37 yeary age I refused to wear my wedding ring, made my wife very upset ( I was working in construction at the time) one day she was helping me on a job and cought her ring finger (It only made a small cut) but she finally understood why.
Some yerars ago a friend of mine climed up a ladder onto his roof, when comming down he slipped hooked the ring and severed his finger. nuff said.

So I whole hartedly agree never were gloves around rotating machinery, but with other things like grinders they should.
Aa another note using gloves, while using a buffing type wheel, will save skin and not likely to rip body parts off just different type of tool.
Roland

Why oh why are people still going on about the safety message.

Safety issues are non debateable. Full stop, no arguments, end of story.

Millions upon millions of engineers and machinists have, thru experience, learned the right and wrong way of doing things, and if you cannot get that into your head, you shouldn't be doing machining in public. No ifs, buts or whatever. If you can't do it safely, you shouldn't do it all.

If you think you should do something that contravenes the normal safety message, keep it to yourself, follow your methods yourself, and WHEN you get hurt, you have only yourself to blame. Don't try to pass on your unsafe methods on to other people.

Safety information is freely available, so there are no excuses not to use it, be it rags, gloves or scratching your backside, do not deviate from what people in the past have discovered, usually the hard way. The information is there to keep YOU safe.

If you don't know the information, then ask, someone will know the correct way, but NEVER challenge or debate the already known safety rules. Better people than yourselves have made those rules to be followed religiously, to keep you out of harms way.

Sermon over

Blogs.

Safety Rules were Were written in someones blood usually many times over and are non debatable.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Safety Rules were Were written in someones blood usually many times over and are non debatable.
Tin
Well said Tin

Where I work gloves are required! I refuse to wear them and risk termination if i get caught! They are required by a self proclaimed "Saftey expert". I wish i could tak a few of you to work with me so we could try to beat some sense into this guy! I will be fired before i work on machines wearing a pair!!

We had a very experienced machinist who will readily admit he knew better get a glove cuff grabbed by a chuck jaw while polishing. This was the one time I am thankful my company buys cheap gloves. It ripped it off his hand, badly wrenching his wrist and arm. He still wears a brace on it somedays, and this was about 5years ago. The ripped open glove is permanently tacked to the wall above the lathe for a visual reminder of how damn lucky he was.

Brian

Blogwitch said:
Why oh why are people still going on about the safety message.

Because new people are always joining - workforce, hobby, forum....and they don't know.

More importantly...they don't know who the 'experts' are and there's a lot of bad information out there...as evidenced by this and other threads. How do you know who to trust? By asking asking asking.

Yeah sometimes I get annoyed by all the messages...but I'd rather deal with that than have something happen.

I'm going to be a grandpa in a a few months. Someday I hope that kid will be interested in what I'm doing. Even now I have kids whose friends are interested in what I'm doing...all I need is for someone to come down here...play with a switch and get their long hair or sleeve caught.

Excuse me while I install a locked switch to keep things off while I'm not here.

Thanks for letting me give my 2 (imperial) cents.

I have a box of those thin latex disposable gloves, and I wear them when doing things like packing bearings with grease. Would there be a safety hazard with these?

stevehuckss396 said:
Where I work gloves are required! I refuse to wear them and risk termination if i get caught! They are required by a self proclaimed "Safety expert". I wish i could talk a few of you to work with me so we could try to beat some sense into this guy! I will be fired before i work on machines wearing a pair!!

Geez Steve....what kind of morons are running things... Don't listen to him...which pains me to say as your my friend and your job may be on the line.

Packing bearings.....wear gloves unless the bearings are attached to a spinning shaft...Then don't!

There isn't always an absolute here, but gloves and machine tools are just asking for it.

You need to use the gray stuff and "keep you head on a pivot".

STOP and think about the consequences of your actions...in the worst case scenario....be pessimistic...paranoid even!

You may chuckle at yourself afterwoods for being too cautious, but you'll NEVER regret the giggle!

"Experience is something you can't get for free" You EARN it. Don't EARN it by EATING it.

Too many already have.......Friends......be careful and THINK!

I say this with respect kindness and sincerity

Dave

This post was started a while back.....To Zee's point about the beginners...its worth the 10 minutes of reading. A related point is outlined in my post number 25 The thread is titled appropriately
"Safety is an Attitude"
THAT should be the safety rule for your shop...first and foremost. With experience, you'll will start telling yourself in advance that your about to do something dumb, and you'll stop and approach from a differant way.....That comes with experience.....and discipline....and in some cases...punctuated vividly by seeing your friend with half a hand.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2857.0

Allow me to add MY 2 cents.

Serious injuries occur in the machining career and hobby
even when safety rules are followed to the letter.
I own this place and see safety as a #1 issue.
It is not open for debate! Anyone who feels safety is an
issue to be challenged will be removed from this forum.

If you see that as being too harsh, maybe you don't belong here.
I'll make NO concessions when it comes to the safety of the
people I work or play with in the machining field.

I will not lock this topic, but consider it ended!

Rick Kerr (rake60)
Owner/Administrator
Home Model Engine Machinist

Yes Rick...I agree with you and Steve and thankyou!

Steve .....Chongs?.......didn't see that one in wikpedia........ ;D

Maybe Cojones, couilles, coglioni, Яйцо; or just plain old Guts.

Best Regards
Bob

Oh Bob...I think the implied noun was quite clear...... ;D

Hey I guess I should apologise here. I have never used a lathe, but end of next month my son and I are going to the city and buying a 500mm between centres, 250mm swing lathe. He has a year basic machine shop but no job. I am glad he walked out of the only place to offer him an apprenticeship, dodgy, no care for safety of employees, lead casting in same building as machine shop. Discussing safety with the boy he tells me no gloves at the lathe. Sounds scary to me. When I heard this rule I just needed confirmation.
Sorry, didn't mean to be inflamatory, but I am still in one piece after too long in industrial electrics and want to stay that way.
Ant

That is OK Ant, safety violations DO happen.
Here in America good old fashioned ambition and greed create many.
I have been on the receiving end of that a few times.

Once I was given a job for my vertical boring mill that should have been
run on a lathe. The lathe was backed up and the company NEEDED it done.
I chucked up a 120 pound 3 jaw chuck on the table of the vertical to grip
between the six spokes of this 800 pound spider. First cut the tool grabbed
ripping the 3 jaw chuck off the table of the vertical boring mill.
I had half a ton of steel and cast iron going airborne.
So was I! LOL I didn't know where that metal might land but I knew it
wasn't going UP! I was climbing the side of that mill as quickly as I could.

The Plant Manager decided at that point to schedule the job into a lathe
where it could be properly supported. Then he gave me hell for being
stupid enough to try to run it on my machine. HE told me to do it!
I'm thinking, "I've got two words for YOU buddy. They aren't Happy Birthday....."

Rick

Back