Re: First Engine No Plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply. Mr. Webster specifies a "O.S. Max .12 CZ Radio Control Car Engine carb with a Bore of .166" . I can not find any listing for this carb. The carb you suggest is about this size. Should I try this carb? Is it proven to be comparable? I have come this far on the build so might as well start with a proven carb.

Thanks Bob

Machinist to his wife:

"Dear, Please don't say that I don't understand you.
For a machinist, not understanding something is fair
enough reason to tear it apart!"

wow very nice workman ship indeed 8)
it is true when you scale up one size that alot of things change, such as machinery. a friend of mine started to build a quarter scale of a 25 h.p. waterloo engine and after he got some of the drawings done he figured that the engine would be too small for him (he was a big man) so he decided to scale everything up to 1/2 size :shock: well things really began to get big..........the boiler is 8 feet long and 18" in diameter and the complete engine weighs about 4 ton with no water in it.

he had to upgrade his whole work shop (bigger lathe, mill,press ect.) learn how to make patterns and do casting (built a complete foundry to do the castings). get his pressure vessel welding licence and do all the drawings and get them approved by the government.
new trailer and bigger truck to haul it to shows, the list just goes on and on.
he got the engine completed and took it to shows for about 1 year and he passed away..............but his daughter, grandson and great grandsons now show the engine at various shows through out ontario.
i will try to get some pictures to post of this engine, it is an amazing acomplishment.
my dad and i are working on a pair of quarter scale engines, they are about 4 feet long and only about 1/4 of the way finished.

chuck
from the snowy north

My name is Sean and I have worked in various positions and employment as well.
I worked and eventually ran my own company working in the Car Audio/Electronics field doing everything from award winning stereo installations to race car wiring.

After 10 years and a good case of burnout I went to work for a motorcycle performance manufacturer. I switched to the automotive division and enjoyed 3 years on the cutting edge of technology.

After that I went to work for a NASCAR engine builder in Las Vegas where I had my first real introduction to machining.

I then moved into Industrial Maintenance where I have been for the last 5 years. I am self taught in everything I do and am fairly well tooled up. I have learned alot already(Thanks to Bogstandards book and everyones posts) and I can't wait to show my work.

I currently have a Takang t105 lathe and a Grizzly 6x26 mill and a ton of other tools (TIG welder, MIG welder, Tubing benders, ect...) and my next task will be to build a Radial Five from Rudy's Vol.4 Shop Wisdom

Sean

I find that it's not the location of the ties, but the length of the strings is the issue! :lol:

hi to all :D
you might want to look up jerry howell (he has a web site).
he sells (really cheap) plans for a small carb. i think it is a two jet style.
i have the plans here (haven't built it yet) and i want to try in on my three cylinder fairbanks model (not built either) :(
this carb is also used on lee hogson's 9 cylinder radial engine as well. i have been told it is fairly simple to build and works real well. it can also be scaled up or down to suit size of engine and jerry gives some specs to do that as well. to top it all off jerry is a great guy to deal with, fast shipping and fast at returning emails.
i only know jerry through some emails i have no connection with him and this is not a sales plug for him it is just to let you know he is a great guy to deal with, and it might just work on the webster engine.

chuck

Hi All,

In the best traditions "SCROUNGE IT". Make friends with all the local small engineering works and stockholders. The stockholders chop metal for their bigger customers and will supply them with the specific amounts they want without worrying about the standard lengths. If a big regular customer wants 4.5m lengths they get them. Go into the stockholders and ask about the offcuts they keep. I have bought several useful pieces like this. Chose what you want and pay the weight or length price. It is trade not retail so will be cheaper. Alot of small engineering works make thousands of parts on repetition machines. The machine cannot use the entire 6m length and so there is always a bit up to 150mm long from each bar. Go in and scrounge it or buy the boss a drink. Watch for the small guys going bust. Theres alot thrown in the skips when they do. We have just acquired a very large amount of steel bar from 3mm to 50 mm diametre for nothing. I have been cutting it into manageable lengths for the past three weeks off and on and still not cut it all up. The other place is the scrap yard or as they like to be known now "Recycling Centres". Keep going in and buying small amounts....you just pay the latest weight price. I keep going in as he remembers my face and is more amenable. Emphasize that you are a model engineer and short of money but that you can help him recycle some metal.

Julian.

well we had snow about a week ago, then it rained then we had more snow,frost and frozen puddles and now the forecast calls for rain and 60 degree weather for the next 2 or 3 days :shock:

about 30 miles north and a bit west of here they got a foot of snow one night!
a friend of mine said it snowed so hard that while he was looking out the window he could not see his truck in the driveway but when he opened the window he could just reach out and touch the truck :shock: :shock:

oh well i guess i will just have to tell the wife it is too cold out and i will have to stay in the shop :roll:

cheers from the sometimes frozen north
chuck

Hello Orrin,
I have not done the ''Beam'' but in saying that , I have built the 10V... the Score and now about 75% on the James Coombes... now working on Peter Southworths model single cylinder ''Corliss''.
I have not come across very many problems with the Stuart castings...dimension wise... but with the ''Corliss'' Yes....the reason for this ...from Peter... was that new casting moulds were made which are producing slightly smaller castings...now the drawings call for a certain dimension which the casting is not going to enable you to achieve, so talked to Peter... answer ... *the drawings are only a ''GUIDE''...make the parts to fit.* some of the best advice I have had in model building, so following his advice I very carefully worked out alternative dimensions and after ckecking that everything was in the right place I proceeded to machine, Worked out fine...If it works and looks right Go for it...
All the best for now,
John.

Hello to All: Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for this forum to enjoy each day. We are visiting our Daughter (working here) and Son (going to college here) in Nashville. Made a quick trip to Lowes to buy some stuff to build a bench for the Son to do a little work on. No place in the condo for a shop so must be removable when not in use. Thankfull to know that he wants to do some work with his hands. Have a good day with family and friends wherever you are!
Don

Hi All,

At no time was it my intent to belittle our moderators. They do a heck of a Good Job!

But it seems no matter how you point something out you will offend someone.

Compound Driver also has a valid point. I enjoy a little peek as much as the next guy! Just not on the Home Model Engine Machinist Forum.

Rake and I have spoken, civilly, to each other and neither of us has a problem with the other. In either point or position.

There is nothing to "Blow Up" here.

Let's get back to Model Engines!

Ken

Sorry Gents, I have no video. In fact, I have no digi cam. The photos were taken by my sister, emailed to me. Also, stuck with slooow dial-up internet, living out in the boonies.

When first delving into the bewidering world of turning inserts, I found PaulT's comments in this thread very useful. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140736&goto=nextoldest

If the link does not work do a search in the PM forums for this topic:-

'Purchasing low cost inserts for a lathe and mill'

Having said that for the moment I'm still using the TCMT inserts and holders that came with my lathe, but I'm on the lookout for CCMT stuff at the right price

Reading Tubal Cain's Workholding in the Lathe, on page 75 there is the lantern chuck, which would enable you to hang on to your studs while you thread the other end.

Its more complicated than other methods that have been suggested here for your job, but the lantern chuck would have other applications HMEMers as well.

The only web reference I can find for the lantern chuck is here http://www.ofrei.com/page_217.html There is a drawing and photos near the bottom of the page

well i for one think that rake you deserve a big round of thanks as well!!!!
hip hip hooray hip hip hooray

For Christmas my kids decided to get me a new lathe, I choose a Grizzly G4003G 13x40 Gunsmiths lathe (Whatever that means). Well the lathe arrived yesterday at the freight terminal, so I took my car hauling trailer to town to pick it up, when the forktruck driver arrived at my truck he told me that he could only find one of the three crates. The lathe crate is the one that I received, well when I got home I called Grizzly to report my disappointment I was told that they would look into it and get back to me. About an hour later a very nice lady called to tell me that she was trying to find out what happened to the other two crates (for the stands or bases) she promised that she would call back on Monday to report that she had either found them or that they would be sending another set to me. Sure they cost a little more, but you get what you pay for, and I am a very satisfied Grizzly customer. Right now the lathe is in the garage and should be in the basement in a few days, I can't wait to get this thing running so that I can make bigger chips and screw up bigger pieces.

And no I am not an employee of theirs, just a old retired man trying to make shiny things in his basement. Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, if this current thought of mine doesn't belong here just tell me and I will re post in the proper place or delete it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back