Re: First Engine No Plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago =- back when Jeep engines were 4 cylinder flat heads you could get a special head and convert them to a 2 cylinder air compressor. Cyls 2&3 were compressor, 1&4 were engine.

Several posts 4-5 months back showed various versions of home made hand tappers. This had been a back burner project for a while and I finally got around to it. Not as elegant as some but it seems to work nicely so far. As the pictures show, I used some off the shelf items to simplify the assembly and function. The tapping shaft is drill rod running in a 3/8" drill bushing for a nearly perfect fit and little if any wear over time. The tap holder is an old Starrett #93-A I had good for 0-80 up to 5-40 taps (possibly #6 or #8 taps as well, just haven't tried it yet). The base is steel though aluminum would work just as well, and the column if 1" dia. steel. The 2 thumb screws were purchased as well, one for securing the arm height, the other for reatining the drill bushing in the arm. If the need arises a separate larger mounting collar could be used for mounting the next larger size tap holder.

029.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Regards,
Bill

Sky's the limit, right?

Hmm, Rolls Royce Merlin.

Any Pratt & Whitney radial. OK, one of each.

The BMW radial they put in the Focke Wolfe 190.

Mine would be to build a fuel burning model of the Wankel Rotary Engine.

At the age of 13 I saved every penny I could to buy the Revell see through model kit.
Assembled it looked just like this one.

mmi11201.jpg

There were batteries hidden in the transmission that powered the engines turning
and it had little red lights (yes before LED's) that would flash when the engine should
fire.

DAMN!
Now I'm going to have to go eBay'ing to try to find one of those models! LOL

Rick

Thanks, John.

Yikes! They are mighty proud of those castings! Fear not, wallet is quite safe.

If I had the time and the skills... I would build a rotary or a high HP L twin engine. But that is just me.

Eric

Your Welcome!

I'm thinking about the 9 and 18 .....I'll probably get to it in my second life...about middle age ;D

Very Reasonably priced I think. I would need to sell alot of plans to recoup the engineering that went into those engines. Best of all only one casting. the cover.

Dave

I really like the Ageless Engines. Especially the 18 cylinder radial. It would be a great day to fire that baby up!! But I think it would take me three lifetimes to finish...

rake60 said:
Mine would be to build a fuel burning model of the Wankel Rotary Engine.

At the age of 13 I saved every penny I could to buy the Revell see through model kit.
Assembled it looked just like this one.

mmi11201.jpg

There were batteries hidden in the transmission that powered the engines turning
and it had little red lights (yes before LED's) that would flash when the engine should
fire.

DAMN!
Now I'm going to have to go eBay'ing to try to find one of those models! LOL

Rick

Its still on sale - I have one I built for school a few years ago.

For me it would be a Porsche designed 4 cylinder horizontally opposed, perhaps the VW type 1 engine or maybe the Porsche 356 engine which are basically the same but with different cooling layout and a few internal changes. Not the prettiest of engines but IMO both masterpieces of simplicity of design.

Perhaps not as ambitious as some dream projects but I still don't think I will ever get to a level where I could contemplate starting something on that scale.

I think we all have great dream projects, I had one for more years than I care to remember. Then I saw the light, and realised I would never complete it, so I let go.

Twinsquirrel,

Don't let your dreams go if you can help it, if the will is there, there is always a way.

Getting to a level where you can make something is a mind block. I am sure that if most people on here actually took the plunge and tried it, they would succeed. Difficult to make parts, if broken down into individual operations always look a lot easier.

There are always people who will help if you got really stuck.

John

I know you are right John, I guess I'm still licking my wounds a bit from some of the VERY dubious decisions I have made over the past year or so. That's what's so great about this forum it has the power to inspire!!

Getting to a level where you can make something is a mind block. I am sure that if most people on here actually took the plunge and tried it, they would succeed. Difficult to make parts, if broken down into individual operations always look a lot easier.

After constantly referring to your book on the twin I can see that taking the plunge and just giving it a go is the hardest part. As a side note and of course it has been said before, I really think you should get that published! When I met Mrs. Squirrel she was the editor of a "niche" magazine (no...not that kind) and she was always on the look out for pull out guides or part works and from my point of view your guide would be ideal for that.

David
Great post by the way Sorveltaja

TS,

Don't want to hijack the post on this bit, but one of my dreams was to make an engine on the run, and starting off with an idea and modifying as I went along, and designed so that if a newbie would take the chance, he could end up with a working engine. I achieved my ambition, over a course of less than three months.

To say that my ramblings, discussions, thoughts and hacking about with bits of metal would ever be classed as suitable for publication never crossed my mind, even though it was suggested by certain members.

To me, I fulfilled a dream, and that was the end of it. Hence it is the public domain, where if people want to enjoy or criticise my little effort, then so be it. I am happy as I am.

John

Thanks you Bog for your vision and effort :bow:

Many have benefitted from it.

Dave

AT $45, with photo's on CD, the plans set if cheaper than most text books on machining!
A lot could be learned by just reading them.
It is a boxster 4 anyway, though I don't think Porche had brass in mind...... ;D
You might want to look at the "Mastif" too.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back