Rant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shred said:
My favorite is when the store person asks "what's it for?" or "what are you doing?" when you ask for a piece or part so they can direct you to some total replacement. "Making a model steam engine" is not an answer they covered in employee training 101.

My first inclination is to answer with "None of your damned business", though politeness often prevails.

That being said, my other hobby is high powered rocketry. The big stuff you've seen on Discovery channel and the like. When they ask "What's it for?", I really don't want to answer "I'm building a big rocket". The last thing I need is Homeland Security, FBI, BATF, CIA, NSA and FAA all knocking on my door at the same time. I realize they are just trying to be helpful (the store, not the government types), but sometimes I think they are better off not knowing.

Kevin

When I run into a "don't know nuffink"type of person,and he/she ask me what it's for,I tell them I'm trying to moderate the puffle on a boiler instigator,or some other nonsense.This usually makes them scurry away to find someone who knows more about that subject,and I'm left in peace to look around for myself.
A car mechanic I know got made redundant at the place he worked for 30 years.He got himself a job at Bunnings.When other workers at the store found out he was a mechanic,they would always come to him to ask if they sold such and such.He soon got sick of this,and told the manager he wasn't paid to give his staff an education.He left the week after,and is now a vehicle inspector at a testing station.

ronm said:
pick out the youngest person behind the counter, preferably blonde & female

Or delightfully Filipino here.

& ask for a point file.... ;D

Delightful Filipina is as likely to know as a number of the guys. They may be cute and pocket-sized but I've run into a number of them who are also motor-heads. It's also fun watching them put hair that goes to their ankles up so it fits under a baseball cap.

On the other talon, I do remember a few places like that of which you speak on the mainland. The blondes are decorative and can run a register (most of the time) but have no clue about what is where or does what. Usually.

Ummm ... Paula, you're not blonde, right? :D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Yeah, don't get me wrong-I have nothing against blondes..I've been married to one for 36 years, & she's a smart cookie...as evidenced by her choice of mates, of course... ;)
On a sort-of-related note, my wife asked where to find bread crumbs at the new Super Wally-World, you know like you put on top of a casserole? She was met by a blank stare from the obviously new hire, & this response..."Bread crumbs? Bread crumbs?...well, we have BREAD!" As in, take it home & make your own crumbs???? ???

Maybe you are also unaware that you become invisible when you hit 60 yrs of age.
Raggle
I have found that to get a response when you are being ignored by two or more staff
engrossed in their own conversations is to say loudly
"F@#K I've become invisible"
wait half a beat to see the amazed expressions, smile sweetly turn around and walk out.
Sometimes you will shame someone into asking "may I help you"? your response should be
"not now"
All of which wont get you what you wanted but sometimes makes you feel better.
BR

Hi Gang

Here is my rant.

A few minutes ago while reading the "Resistance Soldering?" thread there is a link displayed leading to a manufacturer or distributors web page.

http://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/

I clicked on it and it takes me there. I see the product listed and there is even a small video showing how it works. It looks good to me and I am interested in it so I start trying to find a price on it. In order to get a price you have to pretend that you are buying it and fill out a form with all kinds of information just to get a price. They want your name and phone number and email before you get a price.

Well, I didn't fill it in so I guess I will not find out what the price is. Now I don't really care because they have pi$$ed my off so will avoid their product.

What does everyone else think about this?

Rant off

cheers :)

Don

Don,

I would have looked in the phone book for a name or company address and put that in. As far as a e-mail address, again you could use your ISP only modified a bit.

I used to get asked at some stores for a phone number after a purchase. This always got my goat. I finally got myself to give them this number: 555-1951. There is no 555 exchange, that's why you see it used in the movies. The 1951 is the year I was born in. Haven't found a sole yet that questions that number. :big:

Bernd

dsquire said:
I clicked on it and it takes me there. I see the product listed and there is even a small video showing how it works. It looks good to me and I am interested in it so I start trying to find a price on it. In order to get a price you have to pretend that you are buying it and fill out a form with all kinds of information just to get a price. They want your name and phone number and email before you get a price.

That irritates the heck out of me too.

I like to put 'postmaster@..' with whatever company it is as the e-mail address on those forms-- that spams themselves.

20505 is a good zip code to give them too... it's the CIA HQ.

Bernd and shred

I could have given them fake or modified names and addresses and phone number but then they would not have been able to send me an email giving me the price. I know about the 555-1234 phone number bit and have used that on occasion. I knew a gal one time that every time some guy would hit on her and want her telephone number, she would give him the number for the local police station.

I haven't heard about the 20505 zip code but it sounds good but it wouldn't work for Canada as we use letters and numbers, mine is N2E 1H4.

It isn't that I am trying to hide who I am. If I was ordering a product I would have no problem giving them my name, address and phone #. What I object to is having to give them all this information before they will tell me how much it costs. It's kind of like walking into a store, pulling out your wallet to show them how much cash you have before they will tell you how much the item your interested in costs.

Cheers :)

Don

Two responses when asked for your phone at a checkout.
"may I ask your phone number?"
1: "yes you may" then stop.
2: "If my wife answers hang up".

If its a guy who asks do a Katherine Tate (UK tv viewers will know)

" Just because I talk like this and mince when I walk Im not gay you know,
how VERY VERY rude".
BR

dsquire said:
Bernd and shred

I could have given them fake or modified names and addresses and phone number but then they would not have been able to send me an email giving me the price. I know about the 555-1234 phone number bit and have used that on occasion. I knew a gal one time that every time some guy would hit on her and want her telephone number, she would give him the number for the local police station.
Yeah, I just use the fake stuff for purposeless web forms... if I like the price or whatever, I can go back and do it right. If they have to e-mail a quote, that's a little different. But still an e-mail quote should have some you know, customization or something to it. Just to get MSRP on stock items is stupid.

Back