R8 slot guide is it important?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakerme

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently noticed that all my R8 tools were going into my Bridgeport clone without muss or fuss as far as finding the nib that slides in the R8 toolholder groove. At first I thought I was blessed then I realized that all of the R8 tools just slid in like they were home. Exploration of the quill revealed a worn or broken nib. How important is this, or must I do a teardown to replace the nib?

Help appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Chuck

In most cases you can get by without it as long as the toolholder is well tightened into the taper. The only time I would be concerned is if you were using a large drill. There's not much radial torque on an end mill but in drilling there is.
gbritnell

I broke that little nib off in my X2 the first week I owned it.
I haven't missed it yet.

Rick

The key helps a bit when setting up and tightening the collet, but as far as I know it isn't needed to lock the collet during milling. As long as the collet is tightened properly, the taper will hold it solidly with no tendency to spin. If you're not planning to have an operational key though, make sure the key is entirely gone.

Thanks for all of your replies.

The bore is smooth without nib protrusion, but I can feel where the nib was.

On drilling large bores I will take extra care...

I appreciate this site very much!

Thanks

Chuck M

Back