Quill Depth Indicator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
Hi all. One of my frustrations has been depth control on the mill, with no readout. I came up with this indicator holder. It slips on real easy, magnets hold it fairly secure. There's a flat on the thread rod for the magnets to locate on.

Indi-02.jpg

I started with a round piece 1" dia x 1-1/2" long. Drill / tap 1/2-20 for the scale on the quill. Mill out a slot so I can put it on from the front. I went about 3/8" deep on the cut. Inset a couple of rare earth magnets from the craft store. I cut 1/2" dia holes for 3/8 dia magnets, set in with epoxy so the magnets don't touch the indicator holder. A little slot on the side for the indicator lug and here it is. It's got a few shortfalls from the digi-cal readouts, but it seemed pretty quick and easy for me to do. Without the indicator, it also works as a quill stop for drilling, etc., not having to spin those #%&@ nuts down.

Indi-01.jpg

Hope someone finds this of use or can improve on it...

DB

I like it, a lot! Gotta do this since I constantly have the same frustration. As a short cut, I'm wondering if I could start with a hex rod coupling nut? These are threaded hex nuts that are an inch or more long used to couple all-thread or threaded rod.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, that's the great thing about shop-made tools. Your choice of materials and tolerances, just get an idea and go for it! Adjust it to suit your needs. ;D

DB

DB,
Nice, clean solution to an age old problem ;D

Well done. :bow:

Kevin

Hi,

My little mill has the same problem of poor resolution on the vertical feed scale. It has a very small graduated collar on the vertical feed handle which is situated on the top of the unit, above the belt cover. When operated the whole spindle, motor mount and pulleys all move up and down the round vertical column (arrowed in first pic).

The machine does not have a simple depth stop on the front as in the case of Davy’s machine, so to enhance the resolution (and make the scale easier to read) a DTI has been fitted to the side of the travelling head and this operates against an adjustable plate clamped round the vertical column. (Second pic).

The pictures are not very clear I’m afraid – the mill is currently sitting on a bench at the back of the workshop, buried in junk, while some changes to the workshop layout are underway.

I take no credit for the modifications to the machine – they were made (to a very high standard) by the previous owner. Note the keyway type cutout to clear the vertical gib at the back of the column (arrowed in third pic) and the neat clamping arrangement for the collar.

Ian.

gradcollar.jpg

DTIstop.jpg

gib.jpg

clamp.jpg

Latest posts

Back