Quick Change Tool Holder as milling fixture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Here's a quick and easy fixture for holding pieces to mill the edge. Here you can see I'm getting ready to mill the side of a connecting rod. The piece need to be mounted at a slight angle to get the right taper. I clamped the connecting rod into one of my quick change tool holders, using a piece of 1/8" square rod to keep the clamping screws from marring the piece. The tool holder is then clamped into the milling vice as shown.

IMGP0721.jpg

Chuck

Chuck,

Ultimately, holding your endmill in a drill chuck is going to come back and bite you.

A conventional drill has a soft tang so the chuck jaws can 'bite' into it and get a grip.
Endmills are hardened throughout and a drill chuck can't grip them firmly enough to keep the endmill from pulling out if you take a serious cut. Plus there is the problem of chuck runout with which to deal.

Do yourself a favor and get some endmill holders. They're not terribly expensive and you probably only need to buy two sizes, 3/8 and 1/2" to fit most of your milling cutters. A collet system will work as well (and be otherwise useful) but that's a bit more money.

I've had a few end mills suck out of a drill chuck myself.
Never to dangerous results, but to a few parts being tossed into the
"I'll be able to use that for something else" box.

The fixture idea is a Great One!

Rick

Yeah, I have a couple of endmill holders, but unfortunately, don't have a 1/2" size, which is the size end mill I have in the chuck. Sometimes I just get lazy and use the drill chuck instead of going to the trouble of changing to the proper tooling. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem with aluminum as long as I don't take too big a bite. Fortunately, the runnout on my drill chuck is pretty minimal.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back