Question regarding Tiny

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not see a self centering 4 jaw. I like the independent jaws to do off-set work. You do have to slow the chuck down. The imbalance can make the lathe jump around.

Have you ever seen a scroll (self centering) 6-jaw chuck?
6Jaw.jpg

I don't have it yet but it's on my wish list. HUGE LIST! :roll:
The 6 jaw is for chucking up thin wall parts without distorting them.
That 4" one would be perfect for my 9 X 19 Grizzly lathe.

Kenny has been flying right along, Nice work.

I have been reading this thread for a few days thinking "Mike,Get off the computer"

I picked up some metal today so I can start on an engine, it wont be fancy I just want a runner.

That 6-jaw would be high on my list too. Think I would need a new lathe to go with it. :)

Got the cylinder and the stand made. Got to make a new piston, fasten the cylinder and drill the air ports. Hope it runs.

One question. Depending on what side the air ports are drilled is the direction it runs. Looking at the flywheel side is it clockwise?

100_2930.jpg

100_2932.jpg

Kenny it will run in which ever direction you spin the flywheel to start it.
Just start out with low pressure. It will run without even registering a
pressure on a regulator and at 5 PSI it’s buzzing!

Well done, Kenny! :D Oh, can't wait til I get to start building mine. What pressure did it run on?

Looks Great Kenny!
They are a busy little thing when their running. :lol:

Alex,

I don't have any idea about the pressure. I did drill a smaller orfice in the inlet fitting to lower the air pressure. I forget what gas law covers dropping the pressure that way. Have an quick release on it and have plugged it directly into a 175 PSI air compressor and it drops the pressure just fine. I have to get a "T" fitting so I can tie in a carb gage to find out the pressure. That may take me a couple of days before I have the answer.

Thank you guys for the encuragement to make the Tiny. I love the way it sounds.

Kenny

Kenny

Harbor Freight sells a real cheesy little air pressure regulator for about $5
90590.gif

I wouldn't trust too far, but it's great as an in-line regulator for these
little engines.

Yep, I have a couple of regulators. I have over 2 hours running on it now. It is so much fun to play with. :D I changed the bore and stroke from the print when I made it. It has a .2188 bore and a .250 stroke so that makes it 0.00939992796287948 cubic inch.

Don't know the HP, but I can say if you hold it by the base to show it off
running at high speed and that crank clips your thumb nail it will make
you say things that you normally wouldn't. :lol:
Done THAT!

So true. The crank pin will draw blood. :)

I work part time in a camshaft shop and have been thinking about seeing if the head flow bench will pick up the air flow it is pumping. I know the little thing turn will not turn the dyno but I want to see if the software will say the HP it's putting out by logging in the specs.

Alex said:
What do you lube your engines with?

I use Marvel Mystery Oil on the crank pins, shafts and eccentrics.
I've never used a lube in the cylinders of any of my own models, but
none of them have ever run for an extended period of time either.
I've heard some say that powdered graphite is a better cylinder lube than
an oil. I can't tell you if that is true, because I've never tried it.
Maybe someone else here has?

With its name in mind you don't know the viscosity I guess? :wink:

When constructing small engins like Tiny, do you bore or ream the cylinder bore?

Latest posts

Back