Question-RE:Raising drill table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldte

Reaction score
Hi, The problem i have is the drill press i use has a huge round table and arm holding same to column ,raising it is very awkward as it is heavy any suggestions as to mods etc to make life easier( i am into that).thanks
coldte

Perhaps a car jack could be adapted to make life easier
Don

How about using one or two of the nitrogen filled lift mechanisms that hatchback automobiles use.-They are capable of a great deal of "lift" and could be attached with a ball and socket joint top and bottom which would allow the table to swivel if required.

In the old shop I used to run a piece of cable from the table just in front of the column straight up through a hole in the head of the drill press over a pair of pulleys attached to an over head beam and down to a length of 3 inch pipe with a cap on the bottom filled with lead and scrap steel. That relieved me of a good 90% of the table weight. If you don't have a convenient hole in the head of the press you could run two cables from the back corners of the table.

Richard.

my drill press table has a rack and pinion system for raising and lowering. As far as the hydraulic I dea here in the us you can get a long ram jack for under $50 it is 2 ft long with a stroke of just under 20 inches that could do it one end attached to a clamp on the column and one to the table 20" of adjustment is more than mine has as it is a bench top.
0905091-11.jpg

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=SW505-1742
Hope this helps
Tin

Latest posts

Back