question on a Schroeder Simple Single engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bquiggle

Reaction score
I am brand new at this having just purchased a 7x12 lathe from toolsnow, and a micromark mini mill
I am building Roger Schroeder's simple single, but am a bit comfussed about cutting the oil passage in the crankshaft bearing and the thrust bearing, can anyone explain this or even better draw me a picture :) of where and how the grooves go?
thanks for any help.....Bill

Bil:
Welcome to the hobby and to the board. Without seeing the prints it is a little hard to know the answer. As this is a beginners print it should be basic and easy to read. Sory I cant give a better anwer hopefully some of the IC/AC engine guys can help.
Tin

Tin thanks for the welcome, the plans don't show the grooves, the instructions say, cut oil passage in the crankshaft bearing which starts at the thrust bearing face and goes about 2/3rds the length of the bearing, then cut another groove across the face of the thrust bearing and this groove should connect with the long groove in the bearing

No expert here but oil grooves in bearings generally are just a little channel to get oil from where it is applied and distribute it around the bearing .Also holds a little oil in the bearing. IIRC they are sometimes a couple of spirals.
Tin

Bill,
The grooves are to get oil from the crankcase to the front bearing. I have attached a photo of a similar thrust bearing showing the groove across it. On this one I made the groove 1/16 inch wide by 0.010 deep. Schroeder then files a small groove in the crankshaft bearing towards the prop end of the bearing, but only part way. This adds an extra passage way for oil for the front bearing. I have never found this to be necessary. Once the oil can get past the thrust bearing, it pumps plenty into the crankshaft bearing with the pulsing compression/suction in the crankcase.

One thing to note on Schroeder's drawings. He shows the threads for the cylinder to be 44 turns per inch. Cox cylinders are 40 turns per inch. If you make the crankcase threads at 44 tpi you can make the cylinder fit if you make the threads loose enough, but it is not right.

Gail in NM,USA

ThrustBearing.jpg

Bill,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

thanks everyone, Gail that was just what I needed, I was trying to visualize the long groove on the vertical face not horizontally towards the prop end. And its good to know about the 40 tpi.............thank you

Latest posts

Back