Purchasing a rotary table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioM

Reaction score
Hi to all. Need some advise.

I want to purchase a rotary table for using it in the mini mill. I think item 3131 from LittleMachine Shop is a good option for what you get and the price, it comes complete with 4" rotary table, tailstock, dividing plate and 4" chuck. You can purchase it with a 3-jaw or a 4-jaw chuck. This is the advise I would like to hear......which chuck will be a better option for a start. I have never worked a rotary table before.

Mario

I have the Sherline 4" rotary table on my Aciera F1 mini-mill, and it is nice except that it is so small, that setups can take forever. They are tiddly to the extreme so you can lose your mind getting all of the tiny tee-nuts and tiny clamps setup. I have often practised my foul language in this way. If the 6" fits, it might be better.

Mosey said:
I have the Sherline 4" rotary table on my Aciera F1 mini-mill, and it is nice except that it is so small, that setups can take forever. They are tiddly to the extreme so you can lose your mind getting all of the tiny tee-nuts and tiny clamps setup. I have often practised my foul language in this way. If the 6" fits, it might be better.

I have owned two of the Sherline tables - a manual one and then the "CNC" version (with a standalone controller.) Worked great for my Sherline gear as everything would "cross over" (i.e. the chucks from my lathe fit right into it, etc etc etc), but I'll agree, it's somewhat mis-matched now that I have a larger mill. The CNC/keypad function is really useful, though.

In general, I would recommend a 4-jaw chuck over a three-jaw as they are inherently more accurate.

MarioM said:
Hi to all. Need some advise.

I want to purchase a rotary table for using it in the mini mill. I think item 3131 from LittleMachine Shop is a good option for what you get and the price, it comes complete with 4" rotary table, tailstock, dividing plate and 4" chuck. You can purchase it with a 3-jaw or a 4-jaw chuck. This is the advise I would like to hear......which chuck will be a better option for a start. I have never worked a rotary table before.

Mario

A 4" rt with a 4"chuck? how they mount that?

Back