PTFE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamer said:
Ken I will be along with a complete and correct assessment...

No I won't - I'll stand by everthing written above as Kosher.

Take care.

As to the original question - if it feels soapy, dense and a soldering iron won't mark it its probably PTFE - most old hands will identify it a such the instant they pick it up - nothing else feels quite the same.

Ken

Hydroflouric acid is used in it's 30% state mixed with concentrated sulphuric acid for the polishing of lead crystal after cutting.
The cut crystal is literally rubbed by hand in baths of the above with heavy duty rubber gloves the only protection.
Operators are invariably splashed but I know of none who have suffered losing limbs or de-calcified bones.
Hydroflouric acid is also used mixed with ferric chloride as a pickle for heat treated stainless steel again operators get splashed , this is inevitable in an industrial enviroment but again I know of no-one who has suffered what we are lead to believe can happen from burning a small amount of PTFE.
I use Viton o'rings in my steam engines , they carry no hazard , I am unlikely to set fire to them and savour the smoke.
I machine PTFE and again there is no hazard, use very sharp tools and the "swarf" will be in one long piece , very easy to place in your dustbin , it does not get hot during machining.
Don't be frightened by such claims and warnings , by the very nature of what we do workbenches and hands will inevitably be contaminated , do the obvious and you will come to no harm.
It is not good to smoke - period , it is less good to smoke whilst working !
If making dust wear a mask , wear eye protection where applicable and wash hands before eating or smoking.
When it comes to machining alloys containing Beryllium or Cadmium well that's a different story.

Hi Abby,

My Comments were not intended to be "alarmist". I use teflon for the piston rings and Viton for Orings on my steamlaunch running at 160 psi saturated steam ( about 377 F ) and have had no issues with it or any of it's by products for at least 10 years...I've lost count actually.

But I know what to look out for....so I am aware.

I stated my comments more towards the lines of the novice who might turn it WAY too fast (hard to do actually) or waives a torch at it intentionally or not....thereby making them aware of a potential problem.

I have plenty enough to do without being anyone's Nanny, I can assure you.

The message of "Just go slow, and think about what your doing" is what I was trying to get across.

As a wise friend of mine put it..." Safety is an attitude"

Dave

After reading Abby's post, I decided to do some searching of my own, and it seems that I was wrong, up to a point, about the effects of hydrofluric acid.

Please read the two following links to explain.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/773304-overview

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/priorities/fluoroelastomers.htm

Unfortunately, I was passing information on from 'bogus' sources that I had come across when checking my own shop for H&E problems with the materials I use in there.

But, in my defence, I also saw genuine cases of large hydroflouric acid burns while searching on the web, which caused major amputations and even death.

John

Better a healthy respect for that which could happen, rather than a disregard of all warnings.

I agree . No one here is saying do not machine ptfe/teflon in the home shop. and no one is saying not to use vton o rings in the home shop. all chemicals have some risk if improperly used.

check out this web site http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Tin

The point is both PTFE and Viton produce extremely hazzardous gasses when burnt.

I have no problem with machining PTFE or using Viton - for that matter I used to use copious amounts of Beryllium Copper - simply be aware of the dangers.

As is the case for most hazzards - the extreme risks are generally overstated (but nontheless real) - for the inexperienced or unwary etc.

If you use a known hazzardous material look up the hazzard sheets and get specific advice wrt your application before proceeding.

Ken

Like I said ...Ken would be along in a minute with some good advice.... ;D

:bow:

Dave

Latest posts

Back