Psssttt... read any good books lately?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

student123

Reaction score
With a long-ish coach trip & later a holiday teed up, thought I'd ask you guys (& gals?) for reading suggestions.
Of course I could just roam the amazon, but over a cup of tea, thought I'd ask here.

No workshop how-tos books - I'm still learning from the 3 I already have.
I'm interested in history of technology, or a good bio of an engineer/scientist. But I read widely, so feel free to mention from other areas too.

Mike

student123 said:
With a long-ish coach trip & later a holiday teed up, thought I'd ask you guys (& gals?) for reading suggestions.
Of course I could just roam the amazon, but over a cup of tea, thought I'd ask here.

I'm interested in history of technology, or a good bio of an engineer/scientist. But I read widely, so feel free to mention from other areas too.

Mike

Plato Republic
The Prince - Machiavelli
The Trial - Kafka
The Castle - Kafka
The Road to Serfdom - Hayek

Robert

Mike, if you can find a copy, you might enjoy The Difference Engine: Charles Babbage and the Quest to Build the First Computer, by Doron Swade. The author is, or was, the Assistant Director and Head of Collections at the Science Museum in London. Your local library may have a copy.

Regards,
Rudy

Have a go at Ken Follet - "The Pillars of the Earth" A rollicking tale of 12th Century England with lots of interesting bits about how early stone houses, churches and cathedrals were built, including a lot of useful information about poles and rods and yards. There is also Euclidean Geometry if you get bored by all the battles, plunder, love and intrigue.

It was recommended to me by my grandson and I was pleasantly surprised.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob

I have read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet and I'll give it 2 thumbs up. Many other books by him are also a good read.

Cheers :)

Don

Mike

Add "Trustee from the toolroom" by Nevil Shute to your list. If he was still with us, he would be a member of this forum!

Joe

Not much on the subject of engineering or love triangles to speak of but "The Devil in The White City" is an excellent read. I am not so much a book reader now as when I was a young man but this one was "hit the ground running at full speed" after the third page. It deals with Chicago in the closing years of the 1800's and is based on a factual story. It tells of how the Columbian Exposition was planned and built but also has another sinister plot of intrigue and deception going on at the same time. Very well written and I assure you the book will be worth every minute of your time.

BC1
Jim

Another tome I just thought of if you are a bit of a 'geek' inside is "Blue Nowhere". It's story line is based on a convicted mega-hacker that is called upon to catch a killer that uses cyber space to lure and deceive his victims. A very fast paced book and a quick read that is easy to follow.

BC1
Jim

Another vote for "Trustee from the Toolroom"--a truly wonderfull book. Adventure, drama, engineering---Its got it all.---Brian

A collection of short stories I enjoyed was "The J.M. Pyne Stories & other selected writings by Lucian Cary". This was availalbe from Guy Lautard at the following link. http://lautard.com/pyne.htm.

"Trustee from the Toolroom" also get my vote.

Col

An excellent mix:- of non fiction & fiction , some I ve heard of some not, one favourite I have & revisit quite often (i.e. a spot-on pick), & a few I've read but a while back so wouldn't have a problem revisiting.

A couple in return: the lunar men by Jenny Uglow a mix of science & industry at the turn of the industrial revolution ; the enigma of intelligence a bio of Alan Turing.

Col, I'm honoured by your first post!

Thanks to you all for the replies & in advance for any further ideas.

Mike

For various reasons, mainly travel sickness I prefer to listen to audio books. this is a selection I have listened to recently or intend to on my forthcoming trip to New Zealand:

Tori Spelling Stori Telling
Walter Mosley Devil in a Blue Dress
Yann Martel Life of Pi

Terry Pratchett All of his books are good.

Stephen King Children of the Corn
Steve Martin Pure Drivel
Stuart Woods Fresh Disasters

Simon Bovey Slipstream
Simon Singh The Computer with a Poker Face
Simon Singh The Serendipity of Science

Philip K Dick Minority Report
Philip K Dick A Scanner Darkly

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle The Gripping Hand
John Grisham Bleachers
John Grisham Playing for Pizza
John Grisham Skipping Christmas
John Grisham The Appeal
John Grisham The Associate
John Grisham The Brethren
John Grisham The Broker
John Grisham The Chamber

Jeremy Clarkson The World According to Jeremy Clarkson

Fawlty Towers The Anniversary
Fawlty Towers Basil The Rat
Fawlty Towers The Builders
Fawlty Towers Communication Problems
Fawlty Towers The Germans
Fawlty Towers Gourmet Night
Fawlty Towers The Hotel Inspectors
Fawlty Towers The Kipper and The Corpse
Fawlty Towers The Psychiatrist
Fawlty Towers A Touch of Class
Fawlty Towers Waldorf Salad
Fawlty Towers The Wedding Party

Dan Brown The Lost Symbol
Dan Brown The Da Vinci Code
David A. Price The Pixar Touch
Dean Koontz The Darkest Evening of the Year
Dean Koontz Odd Hours

Cabin Pressure 01 Abu Dhabi
Cabin Pressure 02 Boston
Cabin Pressure 03 Cremona
Cabin Pressure 04 Douz
Cabin Pressure 05 Edinburgh
Cabin Pressure 06 Fitton
Carl Sagan Contact Read By Jodie Foster

Bill Bryson In a Sunburned Country
Bill Bryson The Lost Continent
Bill Bryson Neither Here Nor There (Travels in Europe)
Bill Bryson Notes From A Small Island
Bill Bryson Notes from a Small Island (Radio)
Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything Part

Oliver Sacks Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood

Well, you did ask!

student123 said:

Mike

I would suggest "The Perfect Machine" by Ronald Florence. It's the story about the building of the Palomar 200 inch telescope. It also covers the period of the building of the Wilson observatory and and other large telescopes in the 1920's - 1940's. It's abou 420 pages, but is very easy and good reading. It also includes the story behind many great astronomers such as George Hale, Edwin Hubble and others who were involved in building the telescopes. I generally have a hard time staying with a book, but this one has kept me captivated.

Chuck

I also enjoy Ken Follet but for me i do enjoy a good book by Wilbur Smith I recommend the Courtney Series of books.
At the moment i am reading Angus Donald who has written two books set around Robin hood The first one is called Outlaw the second Holy War .All well worth a look.

Rob

About anything by Michael Crichton, Prey and Airframe stand out in my mind. Both a good mix of tech for the engineering side, and violence and intrigue for whatever the other side might be. ::)

Enjoy your holiday!

Cheers

Jeff

Back