Protection from rust

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
I've recently made a couple of small tools as practice pieces before I have a go at an engine. One of the things is a DTI stand and as this is in plain steel and going to be spending most of it's life on the bench in my unheated garage I was wondering what's the best way to protect it from rusting. Was thinking car wax might work but is there anything better ?

Thanks

Jim

Car wax should work fine as long as it contains carnauba wax and/or beeswax. I mostly use Johnson's floor wax, but have also used a liquid furniture polish that contains beeswax with good results. I just wipe it on lightly and don't worry about buffing it out most of the time.

For the lathe and mill I spray liberally with WD-40 after use and let it sit, I don't wipe it off until I'm ready to use the machine again.

That's tough one JimM,

As soon as the humidity and the temperature co-incide with the dew point, your going to have water on the surface of those tools....even in your tool box.

Camphor or silica packs will help, but keeping the temperature above the dew point and the humidity low is the only sure fire way I know.

Dave

One thing you might consider is to black your home made tools.

This can be done either with commercial blacking salts or another way is to heat your tool to a dark colour (blue to black) and then dunk it in dirty engine oil. The dirtier the oil the better it seems to be. When cool, wipe off the excess oil and Bob's your Maryak - done.

Because of the smeech and fire hazard, do this outside.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

steamdave said:
The dirtier the oil the better it seems to be.

This is because of the carbon suspended in the oil. You could probably add powdered carbon (used for lube) to get the same result.

steamdave said:
When cool, wipe off the excess oil and Bob's your Maryak - done.

LOL. Everytime I see one of Bob's posts, I'll think of this.

mklotz said:
Mike N said:
I have found that a good coat of Amour-All is a great rust prohibitor.
Must be a French product. :)

rleete said:
steamdave said:
When cool, wipe off the excess oil and Bob's your Maryak - done.
LOL. Everytime I see one of Bob's posts, I'll think of this.

Rof} I LOVE this forum :bow:
Thanks Dave, Mike N, rleete, Marv and even though not directly involved, Bob (Maryak) - I needed a smile tonight and I got a big laugh :big:

I have also used the heat & oil method to blacken some parts - more to make it look good than to prevent rust. I was actually surprised this year when some of my tools rusted, but none of the oil-treated parts, so I will be using that in future on parts where warping because of the heat-treatment is not expected. Rust here in Namibia is generally not a problem except very close to the coastline, but a very high above normal rainy season caused leaks in my garage roof & a lot of my tools rusted.

One "trick" we use on our cars when going to spend a week or so camping at the coast - where even stainless rusts! - , is to wash our cars with very hot water with some paraffin mixed in before going; the paraffin inhibits rusting, especially in seams in the bodywork, so maybe using paraffin as a coating to prevent rust on machinery is also an option - if there is no potential fire hazard involved.

Now to get on to a "rustic" meal of baked chicken, potatoes & broccoli with cheese sauce :)

Better still, you could just get out there more often, use it and wipe it with an oily rag ;D

Latest posts

Back