Protecting your bed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Did you know that with just a little slip you can permanently damage your lathe bedway by dropping a chuck or a heavy piece of stock onto it.
With just 3 pieces of scrap wood and a few screws or nails you can help prevent such damage just by making a bedway protector.

Protectthebed.jpg

It also acts in my case when not being used for protection, as a little flat area where I can put the tooling I am using to keep it to hand.

Secondaryuse.jpg

John

You are talking quality now.
Is that a standard fitting or was it made by the previous owners?

John

Bogstander The way guard came with the lathe Owner #1 made it. I am owner #3. I asked owner #2 the story on the lathe.
Here is goes. #1 bought it just because he wanted one. He told #2 he only used it to make ten items. He liked woodworking bette. Of the ten items I have three a tailstock alingment tool,a hight gage, and a knocker for the head stock.
Owner #2 brought it home and a week later a good frend sold him a 10L with every alois tool made. plus every thing SB made. Therefor he newer used it. I sure hope I get to use it. Here is a pic of the knocker.

knockerrod2.jpg

knockerrod1.jpg

Back