Price of scrap Brass/Bronze

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I think i;m very lucky where i live in the UK , as i get all my brass/ bronze and copper from my local scrap yard , they charge me £2 per kilo ...... $4 per 2.2lbs ....... But am i been ripped off , or am i getting a bargain considering some of the Brass/Bronze/Copper are big cut offs .......... What do you pay for your scrap ?

That sounds good. I work at a small job shop and get good matl price discounts. Not great by any means compared to the big guys. I was telling Cedge the other day that when I started ordering bronze August of 2003 (I think) 932 bronze was approximately $.85/lb. Last time I checked it was high $2's to low $3 dollar range. These prices were for centrifugal cast tubes. We do very little brass and longer do the bronze parts we used to. Last I checked we had hundreds of pounds of bronze left if any one would like to recommend a project for me :)

sounds to me like a good deal!, I was given a 35mm x50cm bar of bronze and the other day I went to the place where the guy got it from and asked them the price, here in Italy a bar like that costs 60euros!,I haven't weighed it but it must be 8lb's or so ,you could probably work it out....Giles

I've been scanning ebay and local scrap dealers for a few years and the price has crept up from $2.50/lb to about $4.00/lb for brass or bronze. Bearing bronze (932) at $3-4/lb is a good deal I think and brass or aluminum bronze (632) at $3/lb is also good. I've gotten some good buys on aluminum also when scanning ebay, sometimes as low as $1.50/lb delivered to my door. Last week I got a rectangle of bronze 1.5" x 0.875" x 20" for $24. It was in a brass bin, but it's a hard bronze. Machines beautifully.

Cheers,
Phil

At the local scrapyard a few months ago, right before they quit letting people into it :'( :'( :'(, brass-colored metal scrap sold for $1.75 to $2/lb.

I have been paying $2.00/lb (up from $1.00/lb a year ago) for scrap brass in Western Canada. Needing some small round bar, I stopped at a local metal supplier and their price was over $9.00/lb for yellow brass.

Yellow and Red Brass scrap has been recently averaging around $2.00 per pound with "unknown" bronze now tipping at close to the $4.00 mark. I still find the odd bargain, but I'm sure glad I stocked up heavily, last year, when it was still at $1.00 - $1.25 per pound . A short while back, I got a quote for new 360 grade free cutting bronze, 2 inch round stock x 24", for $259.00. I really, really, really like my scrap dealers after that bit of sticker shock.

fortunately, it feels like scrap pricing has stabilized somewhat in my area, at least for the moment.

Steve

I'm hoping that the results of yesterday's scrounging adventure is indicative of things to come. I dropped in on one of my local scrap yards and spotted several feet of 3/8", 1" and 1 1/4" brass hex bar. It had been cut to 3 ft lengths and the total weight was 32 pounds.

I asked the manager what he wanted for the metal and I nearly fell over when he offered it for 80¢ per pound. A quick $25.00 later and I was on my way, with a huge smile of disbelief on my face. I'm going to make a few discreet inquiries and see if this was just a fluke or if maybe prices are dropping a bit. It could be time to go back and buy the 5 inch and 6 inch red brass rounds that one of the scrap yard guys has put back for me.

Steve

Steve, Where was this at. I wouldn't mind stocking up on some brass. I was able to "borrow" alot of usable alum scrap from work and some 1" brass, we have a lot of bronze cast tube but no solid bar . We do have 1 bar of aluminum bronze about 4"-5" in diameter about 4ft long. At around 150lb I think it is too much to borrow:)

Tim
They don't always have brass on hand, so its pretty much hit and miss. I never know until I get on site if there is anything usable around and I've gone months at a time without a decent find. Let's talk about it and maybe we can come up with a way of splitting some costs. Sometimes a find can a bit more material than I really want to stock. I'll be near the phone most of the weekend.

Steve

3.00 a lb for brass or bronze. Wont let me dig too deeply, but got a 3" diameter by 3" long piece of brass today, and a nice piece of heavywall 3" diameter tubing (bronze).

The other yard wouldn't even let me browse.

Latest posts

Back