Preserve spare tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Usually, when I buy tools like drill bits, taps... I usually buy more than 1
For spare tools, I usually coat it with a little w40 oil
But they still rust.
So I want to ask, how do you preserve your spare tools ?
Thank you .

20240109_094252.jpg

Haha, brake them before they start rusting :cool:

Seriously, I do not have that much of a problem with it. Carbide does not tend to rust so quickly.
Do yours come in those small plastic tubes?
Hard to keep things from rusting when humidity is very high. I should get an aircondition for your shop.... but it would cost 1 500 USD? ... no not for the machine, for the electricity bill (per month
😭
).

I would get some of thos reusable plastic bags. Then oil the tool maybe put
1704778259430.jpeg

one or two of these in the bag?
desiccant.jpg
Greetings Timo

storage.jpg

I bought one of those storage cabinets for camera equipment last year. I use it to keep some of the tools from rusting. The electric consumption is reasonable and they are not horribly expensive. I paid about 120 USD (I think). You can also get smaller or bigger ones.

Just a plastic container, like people use to keep their printing filament for the 3d printer dry is also an option. Gel inside with tools, and a firm closing lid.

Greetings Timo

Usually, when I buy tools like drill bits, taps... I usually buy more than 1
For spare tools, I usually coat it with a little w40 oil
But they still rust.
So I want to ask, how do you preserve your spare tools ?
Thank you .

View attachment 152856
I use lanolin spray. It gets dirty but that washes off with wd40 type products.

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne

hi all: I have been using microcrystalline wax from Lee Valley tools, called Renascence wax as well under another brand. It is an inexpensive white coloured paste consistency museum grade product and a thin coat rubbed on will keep oxides from forming. I also use it to finish metal projects where I am trying to slow down brass oxidation after polishing, it does this but over years a decent patina will eventually form. Apparently the Tower of London conservators use it on their arms and armor. WD 40 will attack certain materials like chrome and nickel plating and should be used with care, its good for lubrication and lifting rust but has some content that is not good for long term in delicate metal edges as found in 2- 56 fine taps.
regards C

I've been using Fluid Film with good results. It's lanolin based, and the spray cans are available on Amazon, in big box stores, etc., in the US. I've also used Boeshield on small parts but it is more expensive and harder to find.

I've been using Fluid Film with good results. It's lanolin based, and the spray cans are available on Amazon, in big box stores, etc., in the US. I've also used Boeshield on small parts but it is more expensive and harder to find.
I use LPS-3 that I get from KBC but have also used the cans of Krown rust preventative oil. I've had machined mild steel parts stored with the LPS-3 for a couple of decades(don't ask why) in unheated storage without issue.

I have used LPS-3 in the past, such as when I got my SB 9 lathe and had to leave it in the pole shed for a year before moving. Sprayed it down good and left it on a pallet loosely wrapped in plastic in the shed, and it kept any rust from starting. I still have LPS-3 in the shop and would still use it for longer term storage.

I also buy spares when I buy tooling. I generally coat the spares with little light oil such as Mystery Oil or gun oil and place in a small zip lock bag if loose or the tube they came in. I have my shop in the basement and I have a small dehumidifier there and I don't seem to have a rusting problem so far.

Latest posts

Back