Precision Tool From Scrap

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never thought of using one straddling the jaws on the mill so I had to make one John, cheers! ;D

Vic.

Thanks bogs for another nice handy tool. Off to the shed I go ;D
Pete

Thank You Bogs,

very good idea indeed!

Marcello

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about making a 'round square' from solid for some time. I have also been thinking of a use for a large supply of hot rolled tubing. It was not until I saw your post that I put the two together. Keep the ideas coming, I always look forward to reading your posts. I've added a couple of pictures to show you my efforts and to prove that your efforts to educate us are not in vain.

The first image shows the parting off of the finished turning (why not state the obvious!!). The finish is not as good as it could be as the saddle drive on my lathe has packed up and I haven't yet bothered to fix it due to innate laziness, so the saddle was hand powered.

Roundsquarepartingoff.jpg

Picture below shows 'round square' compared with an accurate angle plate on the milling machine table. It is more accurate than it appears due to a bit of parallax error, but I can assure you it is spot on.

Roundsquare.jpg

Once again,
best regards, and thanks.

P.S. My late appears to turn exactly parallel over this length (100mm) - at least with regards to my measuring equipment, I hadn't bothered testing it before.

T

Many thanks gentlemen for your replies, I will try to keep you informed of these little snippets.

BTW, the was a dire reason I told you to chamfer the end that is parted off. That end could under certain circumstances NOT be square to the sides of the tube, so the chamfer is there to remind you to use that at the top.

John

Latest posts

Back