Polishing ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelallito

Reaction score
Hello,
I hope that I am posting this in the right place, if not move it to where it belongs.
I posted this on a couple of other websites.
I have a Baldor 1/3 HP, 3600 RPM buffer. I was trying to load the 6" felt wheel with Brownells 555 and it was not taking it well. I called them and they said that my buffer is too fast. I read today on Caswell's site that I should be OK on SFPM. This is first time that I attempt to load and use a felt wheel. Any and all advice would be welcomed.
If I have to slow it down, I have considered getting their polishing arbors and using pulleys to slow it down. It will look weird, but will work. I will also have the benefit of 4 wheels in motion. The negative side is that they will contaminate each other.
Thanks in advance.
Fred
I got a reply that suggested I put 8" wheels on the buffer so I did these calculations-
Thanks for the reply.
Caswell has a formula to calculate sfpm. Years ago, Brownells recommended the 3600 rpm for 6" wheels if I remember correctly, which is why I bought it.
SFPM = 1/4 x diameter of Wheel x RPM (revs of spindle per min.)
.25*6*3600=5400 sfpm
Going to a larger wheel would give me the following-
8” wheel @ 3600 RPM =2 x 3600 = 7200SFPM.
Your 8"(if it is an 8") at 1750=2*1750=3500 sfpm.
Going to a 4" wheel gives=.25*4*3600=3600. Since all of my wheels are 6" I can't do that.
If I slow it down to 1800 rpm = 2700, Too slow.
3500=.25*6*X
3500/.25*6=2333.33 rpm if my calculations are correct.
I am half asleep right now as I am thinking this out. A straight 2 to 1 won't give me the correct pulley sizes.
Please check my numbers and correct me please.
Regards,
Fred
Thanks again
I would love to get some feedback from you to see if my numbers are right, and if I am on the right track.
Thanks for the help.
Fred

Latest posts

Back