Polishing flat aluminum

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Hi All
I have a question regarding polishing Alu, I have no problem getting a nice shiny surface finish on the lathe polishing round but on flat stock following the same procedure going up thru 400 600 800 1000 1200 grit emery and then finishing lapping with diamond paste and oil on some paper, flat on the surface table. Anybody know how I can get the same finish as the lathe?
Regards Jamie

Jamie
Finish by hand polishing with Autosol polish, you will be amazed.

Peter

Yea, thats the stuff. I used tons of the stuff when I rode motorbikes.

Roy

Thanks lads I never heard of it but I am going to google it now and try go buy some ;D
I will let you know how this works out
Cheers Jamie

If you are in the US you should be able to easy get hold of some Mothers Metal and Aluminum Polish. I am in the UK and I got some of the US e-bay, the stuff is amazing....

I have got my hands on a tube of Autosol thanks for the info on mothers metal polish aswel .They had it in the local auto store halfords, I will take some pictures before and after ,I will post these tonight after dinner I'm going polishing, then the fun trying to get my flame eater to run again after complete dismantle lol
Regards

Hi
I have used the Autosol on my Alu parts and what a difference ;D especially on the brass parts I have no pictures as with the light bulb over head shining they both look the same before and after but there is a serious difference in the finish. Thanks for the help
Regards Jamie

With a good polish you can stop at 1000-grit paper and get a pretty nice mirror finish. I mostly use Mothers and Simichrome.

Back