PMR BLR-2 Horizontal Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulG

Reaction score
Hello All,

I finished my little PMR 5Bi engine, if it runs it will need a boiler, if it doesn't run I still want one. I purchased this kit around two years ago so I would have something to do after retirement. I have never silver soldered anything before, thought about getting some pipe fittings to practice on. I have a couple of friend that do related work, HVAC & plumber. I hope that I might be able to look to you all for help, if I cant search the info I need. I have been involved with boilers my entire life, from age 8 ... 59... boilers 10hp to 1500HP. And that doesn't mean squat when it comes to building a safe one, even if it's small. My 2 cents of that!!!

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/product.php?productid=3112&cat=7&page=1

DSC02949.jpg

Some of you guys have probably have seen this before, Me, age 8.
DSC02640.jpg

DSC02639.jpg

Paul

Hi Paul, my advice is go to the local home supplier or hardware store and pick up a couple of copper fittings and practice on them. The most important thing is that the joints are clean and fluxed then start adding the heat. When the flux turns clear touch the silver solder to it and then start moving away. You will see the solder follow the heat. At some point touch the solder again to keep enough on the joint.
gbritnell

gbritnell said:
Hi Paul, my advice is go to the local home supplier or hardware store and pick up a couple of copper fittings and practice on them.

That's a great idea. Cheap and plentiful copper pieces with no risk of wrecking the parts you've got lots of time invested in. :bow:

Cute lad in the hard hat, what happened? :big: That is one tall draught chimney, due no doubt to the proximity to the trees and the hillside. What's inside the shed? I have two of those boiler kits and I have to say they are nice but a lot of work. The rivet holes and cinching is what takes a lot of the time. You will require a fair mount of heat to get the solder to flow when the shell is all built up, that's a lot of copper to keep hot. Best of luck.

BC1
Jim

The silver solder that comes with the PMR kits applies more like a plumbing solder. It's lower temperature and free flowing. MAPP gas would probably be enough, a small turbo torch is all I used for their solder. I recently completed the BLR-1 and it was a fun project. I used Harris #15 for the threaded bushings and that required an oxygen/acetylene torch but used their solder for the rest. It ain't pretty but I hydro tested it to over 140#. I made a new base and used parts from a Coleman propane/butane camping stove for the burner. It's for a model boat my father is currently building.

Burner.jpg

Engine.jpg

I see you have one of their 8M V-twin double acting oscillators. I love that little engine but can't bring myself to part with $150 for the kit. Wish someone offered the rough castings for a better price. I've been working on my own plans for one for some time now. I love the reversing feature and the fact that all the plumbing is hidden in the frame and cylinder supports.

Chuck

Nice detail on that boiler.
I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of it and the engine.

Hello All,

I have to figure out how to Quote a single line of text.

gbritnell said:
Hi Paul, my advice is go to the local home supplier or hardware store and pick up a couple of copper fittings and practice on them. The most important thing is that the joints are clean and fluxed then start adding the heat. When the flux turns clear touch the silver solder to it and then start moving away. You will see the solder follow the heat. At some point touch the solder again to keep enough on the joint.
gbritnell

Thanks, that's I what did today, and found a "mini boiler". I bought the 6" piece over a year ago.

DSC02956.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

More on that six incher later.

bearcar1 said:
Cute lad in the hard hat, what happened? :big: That is one tall draught chimney, due no doubt to the proximity to the trees and the hillside. What's inside the shed? I have two of those boiler kits and I have to say they are nice but a lot of work. The rivet holes and cinching is what takes a lot of the time. You will require a fair mount of heat to get the solder to flow when the shell is all built up, that's a lot of copper to keep hot. Best of luck.

BC1
Jim

Jim, The kid got old, fatter & bald. The sheds housed a sawmill, I wish I could relive those days.

Paul_C said:
The silver solder that comes with the PMR kits applies more like a plumbing solder. It's lower temperature and free flowing. MAPP gas would probably be enough, a small turbo torch is all I used for their solder. I recently completed the BLR-1 and it was a fun project. I used Harris #15 for the threaded bushings and that required an oxygen/acetylene torch but used their solder for the rest. It ain't pretty but I hydro tested it to over 140#. I made a new base and used parts from a Coleman propane/butane camping stove for the burner. It's for a model boat my father is currently building.

Yes, I was experimenting a little yesterday, the solder that came with the kit melts around 430f. I consider that caulking.

I read, somewhere, cant find it now. Someone discussing this boiler kit. The guy was told that he did not need to install rivets, just solder it ??? I hope he did not use the kit solder!!!

Nice looking boiler Paul_C, Hmmm, looks like your a little higher up the food chain, PaulG

GWRdriver... if you drop in, I would appreciate your thoughts on using that 6" L pipe for the K.N. Harris boiler #1 pg. 148. I purchased .250" phosphor-bronze rods for stays and .125" C110 copper sheet for the heads. Thanks in advance.

Paul

PaulG said:
GWRdriver... if you drop in, . . . .
Paul,
I'm out of town at the moment but I will be where I can look at the Harris design tomorrow . . . and you are right to consider soft solder to be caulking, and some of us really don't like to admit that.

No intentions on hijacking this thread.

I see you have one of their 8M V-twin double acting oscillators. I love that little engine but can't bring myself to part with $150 for the kit. Wish someone offered the rough castings for a better price. I've been working on my own plans for one for some time now. I love the reversing feature and the fact that all the plumbing is hidden in the frame and cylinder supports.

It's a nice little engine. Should have plenty of power for a 36" boat. Only question is if the boiler is up to the task. The esbit tablets didn't have the heat or longevity so the need for an alternative fuel source. Chuck, I don't know if a kit is a good thing or bad thing sometimes. I've had this equipment around for 20 years and recently my father asked me if I could do the machine work. Sure, why not. Got me back into the hobby after a long abstinence. Funny thing is after spending a day building the feedwater pump I found out you could purchase it assembled for another 25 bucks. Old school thought was if you could purchase it cheaper than the time making it then buy it. But I built it to much tighter tolerances than in the prints and enjoyed myself so it was worth the time. As for the 8M, really not much machine work that would be needed if it were a casting kit. The cylinders are a hard anodized aluminum and it's something most home machinists couldn't do.

zeeprogrammer said:
Nice detail on that boiler.
I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of it and the engine.

I'm pretty much finished the project and now that I'm figuring out this forum I may do a quick write up. Got plenty of pics. Old habits were garage, grease and gasoline in the summer, electronics indoors where it's warm in the winter. But this year I had to press on to finish the project while my father was busy gluing wood in Florida. Now that I'm pretty much finished I want to get back out there with the propane heaters.

And to PaulG, You can do it. At first without considering anything when asked to build a boiler I said to my father no problem. Then when I opened the box I thought to myself, what the hell did I get myself into. I worked my way through a few problems and now if I were to do it again it would be several times easier. One of the most apprehensive parts was the riveting because several people on other forums said it was difficult and I didn't want to have to remove a defective one. Turned out to be really easy, swagging the tubes over gave me more difficulty and I had to make a different set of swagging tools than shown in the prints. Although I consider the boiler I built rather ugly compared to some of the other gems I've seen I'm not worried about it popping. I agree with you about the kit solder, no way I would want to use it without mechanical fastening. Worked great on the riveted joints but from experience I prefer a hard silver solder for joints that aren't mechanically fastened.

Paul_C,

No problem, all information is welcome :) Is your boat project RC? I don't know why I haven't built or bought a boat, as I have an 1.5 acre lake/pond right out side my shop. I use to fly fixed wing behind the lake, too many trees. fly heli off the concrete, best of both, trees & water ;D

DSC02712.jpg

I think a write up on your work is a great idea!!! please do. A couple quick questions if I may.

What type of drills did you use? and did you anneal the rivets first?

Paul

GWRdriver said:
Paul,
I'm out of town at the moment but I will be where I can look at the Harris design tomorrow . . . and you are right to consider soft solder to be caulking, and some of us really don't like to admit that.

Hey, Thanks No hurry... I have a lot to learn before that one.

Paul

Hello

Yesterday I closely inspected all kit parts, only found one defect that I missed two years ago. One door hinge Lug is missing, not broken off, just void, QC at factory. See Pic. Should be an easy fix.

DSC02951.jpg

Paul

Paul, may I suggest a phone call to PMR regarding your defective casting. Those folks are quite helpful and I would bet they would send out a new piece to you as a replacement for free. I had some minor defects as well and in a conversation while I was ordering other things from them the person I was speaking to volunteered on his own to do the replacement without my having to ask. I was stunned (and happy) at that level of customer service. If you think that you can do the repair so be it but it would be worth a quick call anyway.

BC1
Jim

I built his guy about 4 years ago. Fun project, so I bought the horizontal and never started. BC1 is correct about PMR...good bunch of folks

11.jpg

Tony

I agree with Jim, I hear their customer service is excellent. They promptly answered all the questions my father had when trying to decide which combination of boiler and engine to use.

That's nice looking Tony. I believe I've seen it on the web somewhere. I see you have the sight glass on the left.

Paul, I just finished resizing a bunch of pics and will start a new thread soon. I used standard high speed twist drills. I didn't dress them special like you have to for brass. The rivets are plenty soft so they don't have to be annealed. It only takes two or three medium blows to set them.

Paul

Jim, Tony, & Paul

Man, I am so darn hard headed, I don't know why, but I will look at fixing it out of Al. or brass, without damaging the casting. If I cant, I will contact PMR. I am not in anyway putting down PMR. They have great products, sometimes things just slip by. Thanks for the Info.

PaulG

PaulG said:
I am so darn hard headed, . . . . but I will look at fixing it out of Al. or brass, without damaging the casting.
Paul,
I would fix this one also, it's relatively easy if you have a lathe and 4-jaw chuck, and while I was at it I'd go ahead and file the other one off and fix that one too. I'd use a piece of flat steel strip and make up a couple of hinge halves with a threaded spigot.

HINGE.jpg

PaulG,
When I got home from work last night I ran over to see if mine where all there. I'm OK
Looks like GW has a good idea!
Tony

Latest posts

Back