Plan Modifications

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
I think most of us agree that it is OK to play with plans here is a possibly extreme example.
Take this plan :
lucyplan2.gif

Make the engine: This is Lucy is made of Lucite
lucy2.jpg

now use the same print but make the engine a verticle design and use different materials. We now have Cory: Make of Corian
cory2.jpg

And last but not least My wifes Idea a heart shaped engine of rose colored Corian we now have Rosy. This is kind of an upside down cory the piston and pivot are below the fly wheel.
Rosie2.jpg

Mechanically these engines are all identical

Tin

Absolutely great.
You have shown us all that there is always a new way to look at an old idea and don't get bogged down thinking everything has to be exactly as planned.

John

One thing I like is putting on a change to plans. Sometimes I look at these plans and say to myself I just don't have the tool to do it that way. But I do have the tool to do it another way.

Tin,

It is grand of you to show the results of useing different materials.

I don't think I've ever built an engine exactly to print.
If I have a different material that I think will look better or be easier to
work I will use it. Many of Elmer's engine plans call for the cylinders to
be made from aluminum. Mine are all brass. The reason for that is I
find it difficult to drill the long 1/16" dia angled air hole in aluminum
without breaking the bit. I don't have that issue with brass.

This is interesting,Tin.

A friend of mine gave me a 4"x4"x4 3/4" brown post from a plastic/wood fiber extruded material today, like the Terex for decks. It machines real nice and was thinking about it for an engine base. It looks like a ruff stained concrete wall when milled. I tried to post a picture of it being milled but can't get on photobucket, so I will try it later.

Latest posts

Back