Pistons positions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterB

Reaction score
Hello
Can somebody explain to me the Pistons different positions like TDC, TDP and so on.

Thanks

Hello
Can somebody explain to me the Pistons different positions like TDC, TDP and so on.

Thanks

TDC=top dead centre--- top off the stroke
BDC=bottom dead centre ---bottom of stroke
TDP ???????? Don't have a clue

TDP ???????? Don't have a clue[/QUOTE said:
TDP piston seal made with viton or NBR

piston for cylinders with oil "hydro"

tdp piston.jpg

Last edited:
TDC=top dead centre--- top off the stroke
BDC=bottom dead centre ---bottom of stroke
TDP ???????? Don't have a clue

Jan Ridders wrote TDP on his site but it's maybe just a misspelling.

Where shall an ignition take place? Just before TDC or exactly on TDC or just after TDC?

Where shall an ignition take place? Just before TDC or exactly on TDC or just after TDC?

with the type of engine Jan build he's probably TDP type

Where shall an ignition take place? Just before TDC or exactly on TDC or just after TDC

usually before but your engine configuration will determine what's the best time before TDC

Usually just be fore TDC, ie 2 degrees or you can measure with a dial gauge from the top of the bore at x value.

Rather than post unnecessary information about seals etc, and get it all wrong, and then get upset, I read Jan's site and realise that he means Top Dead Position. Quoting from the site, "Put the piston in it's highest position (TDP)". Of course, it means the same as TDC, but allowances have to be made when English is not the native language. I hope that this was useful.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back