Pipe fittings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been searching in vain for info on making model pipe fittings. Inline, t's elbows etc. What is common practice. Flared tube,olive style or other methods. I would be most grateful if someone could steer me in the right direction
Thanx in advance
Herbie

What sort of engine?

Hit & miss engines look best with teh miniature malable iron look fittings that PM research sell

For steam then nuts & nipples(ferrules) are usual though olives can be used in tight spaces.

You can usually make up the tees and elbows for steam from bar or hex stock though like the gas pipe blank castings are available.

This may help
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZFj8qAycE[/ame]

J

Hi Jason. I am currently plumbing up a boiler to a steam engine but when thats done will be constructing a hit n miss. There isn't much info out there on actually making the pipe fittings and which thread to use. M.E , bsp npt bspt brass 26 tpi etc

The cheapest way is by using castings cut from 'trees' of castings such as those from PM Research and others. When you cut them off you get casting chunks like this:

pipe_fittings.jpg

Once cut off I use a little fixture like this in a collet to hold the fitting:

plumbing_fixture.jpg

While chucked you can face, drill and tap. Pop it out, flip it around and do the other side and you can be sure that it's pretty square.

You generally have to make the fixture for each 'batch' of castings, I've had the supplier change their patterns and the fixture be just a bit loose. Once you've made a couple it goes pretty fast.

If you get the trees from a supplier who also furnishes finished fittings you can avoid making a fixture for a single casting, or trying to get a decent 45 degree angle when holding something in a 4-jaw.

There are better looking castings available out there (SuperScale, RR Warehouse, etc.) but while they look great they're too rich for my blood. The ones above are older ones from PM Research.

You'll also want a bunch-o-unions. I buy them, and like the solderable ones. The threaded ones are fairly hard to get sealed and it always feels like I'm going to break one when tightening them on the steam line.

On edit: The top picture is showing a couple of casting styles, I believe they're old and new from PM Research. The fixture idea came from an article in Live Steam some years ago, I can't recall the issues but it's simple after seeing it.

For threaded connections uning ferrules and nuts its best to take a look at the commercial fittings to get an idea of what threads are used. Here in the UK its usual to use ME series threads on smaller models moving upto BSP on larger traction engines and large gauge locos. If your engine is one of Stuarts then they tend to use a coarser thread than most.

Have a look at this to get an idea of the size of thread related to pipe size

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/components_subcats.asp?CatID=19

If you are making the nuts yourself then allow 1/16" over the thread size for the nut A/F eg a 1/4" x 40ME nut would be made from 5/16 AF brass hex. The female end of a fitting is usually drilled with a centre drill as the ferrules have a 60deg taper

Its usual to silver solder (hard solder) the ferrule to teh pipe, remembering to slip the nut on beforehand

The littel cast elbows shown above are better suited to gas engines in my view though they would not look wrong on a US style traction engine.

Jason

Thanks to all. This is a great forum. Learning all the time

Back