Physical and mental assistance required

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to some rather bad news, my very good friend will not be able to help me get my shop back up and running for some time, if at all.

I will tell what is required.

I have a new 2HP 3 phase motor to be fitted to my lathe and a second hand VFD to control it.

I will require someone who lives fairly local to myself (Crewe, Cheshire, UK) to physically fit the new motor (same fittings as original) and to wire up the VFD to it, plus rewire the VFD to the fwd/reverse handle on the saddle, the VFD is already wired up with it's pendant to control speed and direction. I do have the instructions for the VFD but no cable to do the job. I am just not physically and mentally (not violent, just a bit brain dead at times) able to complete this job myself at this time.

Beer tokens will be freely available to anyone who is qualified and willing to take the job on, which would be required to be done after mid June as a very long holiday in the sun is soon on the cards.

All offers of help gratefully appreciated.

John

Hi John

I'm in Manchester, and I can help you out. I'm not entirely electrically incompetent, though my experience with 3 phase stuff is fairly slim. I have a pile of lengths of armoured 3 phase cable (5 core in the new colours, I think) which I rescued from the skip at work - how long a length do you need?

I work part-time and spend a lot of time looking after kids too young to be left alone - so we'll need to do a bit of shilly-shallying to sort out a date. If in the meantime some experienced heavy-current guy comes forward, no problem.

Send me a PM with your email in it, and we'll be in touch reliably.

cheers
Mark

It looks like I have found a very generous gentleman to assist me, just need to get our timings into synch.

Isn't it awful having to rely on other people to get things done?

This should be the last project that my shop requires where I require assistance, it has taken a long time to get there, but good things come to those that wait.
Just keep an eye open for major projects that I have taken on but will not be able to finish, they will be coming up for sale in the next month or so if anyone is interested.

John

It looks like I have found a very generous gentleman to assist me, just need to get our timings into synch.

Isn't it awful having to rely on other people to get things done?

This should be the last project that my shop requires where I require assistance, it has taken a long time to get there, but good things come to those that wait.
Just keep an eye open for major projects that I have taken on but will not be able to finish, they will be coming up for sale in the next month or so if anyone is interested.

John

Surely, John one of the pleasures of this hobby is that we can help others. What is being offered to you is very small recompense for all the help you have given to probably many thousands over the years.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I know Dave, but it does make me feel a bit of a failure when I have to call someone in to help me, as at one time, even with my maladies, I could cope most times.

The physical, with a bit of thought and the mechanical assistance from tooling I have around the shop, toe jacks etc, I can usually cope, but when it comes to technical things like wiring circuits, they have been lost and require time to get them back, if at all. I have all the tools to do it with, like crimping tools etc, but remembering which size crimp goes onto what size wire defeats me at this time, and that is only a tiny part of what I should have known.

I am hoping that when my shop is up and running, things will come flooding back and I will be back to my old nasty self again.

John

Easy with the eulogising, folks - I don't work at all well under pressure, and now I'm going to look like a right twat if I can't work this thing out :D

In fact, in June I'll be dropping some skip-find cable at John's house, and if we get his lathe going at the same time, well that will be a bonus!

Latest posts

Back