Peizo-electric engine ignition??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. The piezo ignition
Because of very good experiences with the Atkinson engine I choose again to use a piezo cristal for making the ignition spark. This is a very simple and above all a compact arrangement, compared to the classic system with breaker points, high tension coil, capacitor and battery. I took this piezo cristal with another two parts out of an handlighter for gas cookers. A pushing rod, driven by the ignitioncam on the camshaft takes over the role of the hand that normaly operates this gaslighter. Well adjusted this system delivers reliable sparks, even at high engine speed. In fact the piezo causes within every cycle a short spark-train which is probably an advantage for a reliable ignition of the fuel mix.
The spark plug is self made. It contains a teflon isolator that withstands temperatures up to 180ºC or more and makes the sparkplug gastight at the same time (see sheet 7 and 7a of the drawing plan).

The plans at the mans site are free for the asking! Whoopie! When I'm ready for to build a stirling engine I'll be armed with plan

Thanks for the link NickG,
Kermit

;D Told ya I was green.

Naw, the piezo stuff is a copy paste from the website mentioned. I was refering to all the other stuff on the website. :eek:

Now that ya mention it, just how many spark plugs would it take to make a stirling run?

Standing by for the punchline,
Kermit

Latest posts

Back