Out of Sight - Out of Mind

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Last summer I bought a new Window air conditioner for the down stairs.
15,100 BTU at 12AMPS. When it's compressor kicked in the lights would dim for
a half second. Big Deal....

This past Wednesday it had no power. The breakers were all OK, so I went to check
for power at the outlet. I was horrified by what I found!

BurntOutlet01.jpg

BurntOutlet02.jpg

OldWiring.jpg

So.... When I bought my 9 X 20 lathe several years ago, I had run a dedicated circuit
from a 15 AMP breaker to a 4 X 4 box in the basement rafters above the lathe bench.
There is nothing but the lathe and a light fixture on that circuit, until today.

DedicatedCircuit.jpg

White wire - Power from the breaker
Black Plug - Lathe
White Switched Plug - Florescent light fixture above the lathe
Yellow Wire - Power out to the outlet that the air conditioner is plugged into

When it's hot enough for the air conditioner to be running, I'm not going to be in
my shop anyway.

That could have burned my house down!

Time for a major house wiring inspection!!!

Rick

It looks like that outlet was only rated for 15 Chinese amps, they are smaller then regular amps. :)

Seriously, voltage drop=resistance=heat. Voltage drop on a motor circuit = higher amp draw=more heat. Unless you had a 20 amp breaker in the circuit it looks like it was just a poor connection at the outlet that was your whole problem. What doesnt make sense is that cotton insulation certainly didnt come from that yellow wire.

I get funny looks from people when it comes to wiring. They comment that I am using to big of wire, too expensive of switches, plugs and how much money I could save.

These days, my job includes the purchasing of building maintenance items.

We recently had a plant superintendent recommend the use of PEX flexible
water tubing for an air line installation.

I vetoed that plan and bought black iron pipe for those air lines.

Plant Superintendent verses [size=10pt]Me[/size]

I'm not his favorite person at this point in time but that doesn't bother me much.

A safety mistake at home is one thing.
An obvious safety violation in a plant where 300 people are working is unforgivable regardless of rank!

Rick

Oh you know I'll be looking around now!

Dave

HMMM OK Yuck. Thanks for the heads up .
A couple years ago Had a power surge left an outlet looking a bit "funny" on the outside.
Last year had an older used ac on the same outlet pop the breaker a couple times .
Purchased a brand new AC for the shop lats night
Think I need to pull and inspect the outlet TODAY before I plug in the the brad new GE 6300 btu unit
tin . .

Go through the house and pull out the switches and plug sockets and TIGHTEN the screws.

You will be amazed at how many of them have screws that are just floating on top of the wire.
:eek:

I'm sure Lakc and Kermit are totally correct in their suggestions of the actual cause of the incident.

Who checks screws on electrical components? ???

Every piece of equipment that I am responsible for at work has a preventive maintenance
schedule.

Every one of them says, Every 12 months:
"Inspect and tighten all mechanical electrical connections."

That sounds like a lot of work for a home, considering all of the outlets and switches in the
average house.

Consider the work involved in rebuilding that house.
Never mind the pictures, memories and stupid little nick knacks that could never be replaced.

Over a loose screw?

SERIOUSLY!

Rick

Hi Rick,
That looks like Old House Wiring. Do I see fabric covered insulation?
Hilmar

When studying the pictures, it is quite obvious a lose screw that caused your problem !!!!

That's the reason why it has been illegal to use sell outlets or contacts with screw terminals for the last many years here in Denmark - our wire entry into the socket or contact are jaws compressed by a strong spring - you really need to press hard to open the jaws.

I attached a pdf on how to change a contact - it's in Danish, but just follow the numbers and look at the pictorial.

View attachment sikkerhed.pdf

Latest posts

Back