Other names for way wipers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holt

Reaction score
Hello All. I am restoring a 54 years old Colchester Triumph lathe, and need some way wipers. i would think that it would be possible to buy some universal wipers, but i haven't had much luck on eBay (or other places for that matter) I would like to know if they go under other names, both in English and German if possible

Holt

Hey Holt

In German they are called "Filzabstreifer" or "Gummiabstreifer".
You probably will have to make your own housings for them and buy some felt or rubber sheet and cut it into shape.

You may also find something with "Führungsbahnschutz"

Cheers Florian

*edit* I just googled and found a company called "Eitec". They provide different protection products and you may find something...

Holt,
I'm not all that sure that there's any form of "universal" way wipers. Their probably lathe specific. Most use a semi hard and thick felt material. MSC industrial did sell it. I'm not 100% sure about that today since I haven't done a search. You may end up building your own replacement system along with the covers to keep them in place. There were a few lathes that had a form of scraper made from sheet brass and adustable for wear. These were used to scrape off the heavy cuttings before it got to the way wipers themselves. Maybe an idea to keep in mind?

Pete

You should be able to find spare wipers in the UK by looking for suppliers of spares for Harrison lathes. I got a set for a 25+ year old Harrison lathe a couple of years ago which were surprisingly reasonably priced and Harrison and Colchester are cousins. Unfortunately I don't have the name or address of a company because they were gotten for me by the "chum of a chum who knows someone." Google Harrison Lathe Spares and a bunch will come up including G&M Tools which are a good lot to do business with.

Thanks all. After searching "Filzabstreifer" (feltwiper) on eBay Germany i realised that this lathe of course never had rubber wipers, but feltwipers, that are more simple to make, just cut some felt to size, and cut a piece of brass or stainless as a washer.
Greg, is that a Colchester student? looks app the same age as mine (1958) any chance of a closeup of the wipers?

Holt

Holt
Yes its a Student model but altered for Canada, all the fasteners are imperial rather than Wentworth.
Think it was from the late 50's. I bought it as government surplus, came out of a defence research lab, not a lot of wear but was badly neglected.
The wipers had been removed for some reason, the aluminum backers aren't pretty but served to get it turning.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...cI/AAAAAAAAATI/kKtWH7vxl3s/s1440/IMGP1385.jpg
They seem to be a good solid little lathe, this one replaced a 14 x 40 Taiwanese one.
Greg

One of the square brackets was deleted. Just added it back for you so that i could see the picture!
happens to me all the time!

Andrew

f350ca said:
Holt
Yes its a Student model but altered for Canada, all the fasteners are imperial rather than Wentworth.
Think it was from the late 50's. I bought it as government surplus, came out of a defence research lab, not a lot of wear but was badly neglected.
The wipers had been removed for some reason, the aluminum backers aren't pretty but served to get it turning.
IMGP1385.jpg

They seem to be a good solid little lathe, this one replaced a 14 x 40 Taiwanese one.
Greg

It struck me where i could get some felt for my wipers without having to order some special expensive material with expensive postage. :p
What do you think go or no-go ???

518_filt20lille.jpg

I see, the insole idea wasn't new, damn it, i thought i could bring a new idea here, seems you guys are way in front of me :mad: ;D

Holt

LMAO!!!

I am rebuilding a mill and asked about felt replacement options.
Sorry to beat you to it! ;D

Andrew

Latest posts

Back