Open Column Twin IC Engine - Finally, completely finished!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I started building this engine a number of years ago and kind of got it running the middle of last year. I've messed around with the fuel system some, trying a vapor carburetor, a model airplane carburetor, and a home built carburetor. A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to buckle down, get it running right and finish it. I rebuilt my home made carburetor, taking a lot of care to shape the venturi and replace my 2-56 tapered needle valve with a largish sewing needle. I built a new base for it, installed proper spark plug wiring and boots and hid the battery and wiring in the base under a small, removable trap door. I added a 90 volt DC motor as a generator powering a 60 watt light bulb and now feel like I've got it running and looking pretty good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXF6i00pE3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXF6i00pE3c[/ame]

Chuck

Chuck-

Very nice! I'd say it's running fine now.

Thm: Thm:

-Bob

Very nice Chuck, I've always likes the open six since I first subscribed to MEB but was a bit put off by all the repetition that a 6 cyl would require but your twin is a good compromise. Though I should really get my Hoglet finished first which also shares some similararities with the open 6.

J

That's great Chuck, looks like you have all the bugs worked out now. Love the sound, especially under load. A1 job

Peter

Nice job Chuck. I always enjoy following your builds and seeing them run. :bow:

Regards,
Rudy

Wow. That just sounds even cooler than it looks. Very impressive :bow:

Another lovely job Chuck. It looks and sounds good.

I am really impressed by the way it sits there and does not jump around. All my engines walk.

Congratulations

Jim

Nice job, Chuck. Your twin runs and sounds great. You told me before, you are waste firing the engine. Are you using a Hall effect system? What sort of coil or ignition setup are you using?

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Chuck that is a fine example of a model engine. Seeing things like that gives me an incentive to finish my humble Kiwi and hopefully get it running.

Vince

That is the sweetest sound I have every heard from a model IC engine.
I am biased though, I use to have a model A and H.

Very nice.

Chuck.
Another masterpiece as always. What a nice runner too!!!
Bill

Great job Chuck I like the way it runs so smooth. The generator touch has my attention. I want to build a motor generator set myself.

Regards Don

cfellows said:
I added a 90 volt DC motor as a generator powering a 60 watt light bulb Chuck

Congrats, nice engine!

- what kind of spark plugs & ignition system is used?

- I'm intrigued by your motor/light bulb 'illuminating dyno' ;D . Is it really as simple as hooking up a DC motor kind of in reverse? I realize it's just ticking over & not full throtlle, but in principle, if it's powering a 60 watt load, would that be equivalent to (hmm check my math..) 0.08 hp at that rpm?

Chuck, Great looking and running engine, Ireally like the sound of it working, Thank you for sharing the video with us. larry

Great to see your back burner twin project up and running. Nice display and those 180 twins.....take us back to the farm! :bow: Dave.

Chuck

I like it, why would you want to build vehicles when you make engines like that? An i/c engine has got to be on my project list at some point in the coming years.

Pete

That runs great Chuck! It's bigger than I thought!
:bow:
Dave

Latest posts

Back