Oil Cans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novian

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these oil cans today from KMS Tools:

WIL-W241_MED.jpg

http://www.kmstools.com/performance-tool-1-4-pint-oil-can-4940

To test it out first I filled it with water and tightened it but it didn't seem to squirt out the water that nicely it barely sprayed out the water and it wasn't a nice steady stream.

Does anyone have much experience with these types of oil cans? or should I return it and get one of these simple spring bottom types?
21vY6WujVhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks,

Ian

PS: This will be for cutting fluid.

I don't think that water is the best fluid to test the oil can. It needs the oil's viscosity to seal the pump correctly.

The reason it won't pump water is the cheaply made ball valves etc don't seal very well - even with oil they don't always prime well - try holding your finger over the end to act as a valve when starting it for the first time.

The other probem I have found is they tend to leak and I invariably find mine standing in a puddle of oil. I have bought several over the years and I'm happy with none of them.

If I could find a spring bottom can I'd snap it up - no moving parts and nothing to go wrong.

You have just given me an idea for a project - rebuild my cheap and nasty into a decent leak free pump.

Ken

Ken I said:
The reason it won't pump water is the cheaply made ball valves etc don't seal very well - even with oil they don't always prime well - try holding your finger over the end to act as a valve when starting it for the first time.

The other probem I have found is they tend to leak and I invariably find mine standing in a puddle of oil. I have bought several over the years and I'm happy with none of them.

If I could find a spring bottom can I'd snap it up - no moving parts and nothing to go wrong.

You have just given me an idea for a project - rebuild my cheap and nasty into a decent leak free pump.

Ken

I have to agree with you, Ken. None I have had worked without leaking.

Some years ago I started using Wash-Bottles.

Cheap, no leaks, infinitely adjustable from one drop to a good squirt. Depending on how you calibrate the squeeze.

OK on most oils except slideway oil which is too thick really.
( Fixed by oiking out the little plastic nozzle ).

Similar to this:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Education/Wash-bottle-34400/?sid=22224319-77d7-4cc3-a0f0-0b472f2163c8

No, I don't suggest you get one from UK, they're fairly common anywhere I would think.

Althought that one looks a bit flimsy. Mine are fairly thick HDPE, elliptical cross section.
Probably would work though.

Dave ..

Little would you believe it, I find the cheap and nasties from here work really well, and the brass nozzle on the end fits and seals perfectly into the ball oilers of my lathe, so allowing me to get a nice pressure build up when injecting slideway oil. Been using 3 of these for about the last three years, and no signs of leaks or pump failures.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-pump-oil-can-prod377355/?sessionid=qol

It seems like you have to buy one that doesn't have the leaking type seam on the bottom of the can.

John

I have a couple like you show they work well I get name brand ones. I do keep them in a pan with a blotter in the bottom I think tempurture rises cause the oil to drip a little.
Tin

I have one like the first link and it's a poorly made one. It works, but it leaks and doesn't pump all that well. It does ok with ball-oilers though.

Since then I have been dropping by garage sales and picked up a couple old Eagle brand ones that are much nicer and much less leaky (although a bit top-heavy)

Tin,

Sorry for the minor hijack.

"I do keep them in a pan with a blotter in the bottom."

I think we all have this issue with these things leaking. Some ARE worse than others. I have been leery of putting them on a blotter, rag, etc. because I have been afraid that an oil-soaked blotter or rag would be a greater fire risk than a film of oil under them in a metal tray or can. I keep mine in a metal cabinet with the other lubricants and flammable cleaners when not in use.

I have several oil cans each for different oils. I like the pump type because the spring-bottom type can't pump up to some of the places I need to oil.

My issue with some of the plastic ones is that the plastic bottle doesn't thread nicely onto the metal cap/pump assembly. Nothing like having the bottle come off end getting your shirt soaked with 20W on a hot and humid day.

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back