Offset eccentric

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
I've got brain-fade today :-\ Will an arrangement such as this work and will the eccentricity affect the valve travel as normal?

(The valve rod is travelling up/down as indicated but the crankshaft is offset The eccentric and strap would be as normal - the circle at the connecting point is supposed to represent a fork). I guess some form of guide would be needed for the rod...

TIA

Paul

offsetecc.jpg

The travel will be cosine(angle) of what it would be if everything was in-line. I think.

Thanks both...

Mainer: thanks, but what angle are we talking about?

Dave: :big: YES what? Cos, will work, will require support, all three?

Hi Paul

To quote Dave, "YES" - all three.

I stole your picture and added in some line drawings.

The angle is x. COS(X) = A/B. With an eccentric offset of B, you will get a valve travel A = B x COS(X)

Of course, when setting your eccentric, and presuming you want it set at 90 degrees to piston travel, you'll also have to compensate, and set it at 90 degrees - X.

Hope this made sense!

Regards, Arnold

crankoffset.jpeg

Thanks Pat, with a total valve travel of about 8mm and a short(ish) rod there might not be space for a guide....

Thanks Arnold, yeah where 'B' is the total length (of the hypoteneuse)...I said I had brain freeze today :D

i think this would be a good place for a bellcrank. should transfer motion really close and would result in alot less side load on the vertical shaft.

that's the principle behind the desaxe design, no? small offset.

tom in MA

YES

you will have created essentially a quick return mechanism

The piston speed on 1/2 the stroke will be faster than the other half

The side thrust will vary as the cosine of the rod angle......basically from nothing to a lot.

.....sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....my son's RC car had its own cosine problems...mostly as a result of immovable objects..leaping out in front of it......like brick walls. :big:

Dave

Latest posts

Back